We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moscow, Vladimir, Suzdal, Novgorod

Level Contributor
59 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
Moscow, Vladimir, Suzdal, Novgorod

We are planning a trip to Russia in September. We will arrive in Moscow for five days then on to Vladimir by train, a bus on to Suzdal. Remain there for two days then make connections to take us on to Novgorod realizing we have to go through Moscow. Can anyone offer advice on the connections Vladimir, Moscow Novgorod? Thanks Mrsboll

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,294 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moscow, Vladimir, Suzdal, Novgorod

Presumably you will be traveling by train. Best bet Moscow to Vladimir is the Sapsan express...2 hours, leaves early a.m. and gets you into Vladimir around 8:30 as I recall. Quick question...are you planning to spend zero time seeing things in Vladimir? As charming as Suzdal is, I would allow some time to see some of Vladimir. i do not know what your plans are for getting around in Suzdal - are you planning to use any organized or private tours? If so, you may want to see if they can provide a package deal to zip you around the main sights in Vladimir...maybe 4 hours before you head back to Moscow? Vladimir offers both a lot of very ancient and historically important sites as well as a very good feel for a smaller yet fully urban city outside Moscow. Having been to both Novogord and Vladimdir, I would opt for Vladimir, but seems you have made your choice.

As for Novgorod, yes, assuming train, you "connect" by coming back to Moscow. The only tricky thing is you will leave for Vladimir out of the Kursk train station, while for going to Novgorod, you will leave from Leningradksi station. You can use the Metro to get between these.

One other thing...unless they have recently added express service between Moscow and Novogord, you are looking at an 8 hour trip, perhaps best done using overnight train.

Edited: 14 May 2013, 21:32
Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moscow, Vladimir, Suzdal, Novgorod

There is a conveniently timed overnight train from Vladimir to St. Petersburg. You don't mention SPb as being on your itinerary, but that's worth considering, (Maybe even if you just use SPb as a base to turn around and proceed to back to V. Novogorod.) Non-expert advice, take with NaCl.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,294 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moscow, Vladimir, Suzdal, Novgorod

I did not even bring up St. Petersburg as while yes this would be a good idea, it is adding yet more time onto itinerary...if they are doing St. Petersburg, then yes, the advice here changes. My advice was also using same NaCl, just sticking to their literal itinerary...

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,294 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moscow, Vladimir, Suzdal, Novgorod

Note the convenient trains to St. Petersbrug also come back thru Moscow, and take 12 hours...just an FYI...

5. Re: Moscow, Vladimir, Suzdal, Novgorod

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 May 2013, 00:16
New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,889 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moscow, Vladimir, Suzdal, Novgorod

St Pete has better connections to Novgorod than Moscow. NOT visiting St Pete would be a crime. Dropping Novgorod from the bucket list once you visited Vladimir/Suzdal would not be a crime. Rostov is closer to Moscow and looks like a historical movie set too (in fact, it has served as such).

Just some random thoughts...

Edited: 15 May 2013, 00:17
Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,294 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moscow, Vladimir, Suzdal, Novgorod

Well said...I vote to drop Novgorod...go for the whole enchilada...errr...St Petersburg. In fact, you can get their much quicker using Express...as I said, to me, if you spend a bit of time in Vladimir, you will have some of the same sense of a mid-sized Russian city with at least equal historic sites as Novgorod.

Level Contributor
59 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moscow, Vladimir, Suzdal, Novgorod

Thanks to everyone that contributed ideas. It is most helpful. Our plans are not set. This was just a rough guess as to how much time we should spend in each place we wanted to visit. I can see already that we will have to weigh the value of visiting Novgorod vs seeing more of Vladimir. Our idea was to first visit Moscow then go to Suzdal and do a mix of tour and just walking around on our own maybe doing some local hikes. We want to try to experience Russia outside of Moscow and St Petersburg. Yes we do intend on going to St Petersburg.. I did not mention it because I wanted to first focus on the other places we mentioned. So we had originally intended five days Moscow, two Suzdal , two Novgorod and five in St Petersburg,

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,294 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moscow, Vladimir, Suzdal, Novgorod

Super with regard to St. Petersburg...I will try to make this my last suggestion...most folks get in both Suzdal and Vladimir in 2 somewhat jam packed days. If you allowed 3 including some travel time back, then headed right to St. Petersburg, you not only add a day but will also save considerable time getting to Novgorod (no express from Moscow, 8 hour train, likely overnight), and then heading on to St. Petersburg.

Admittedly, overall, you do have quite a bit of time overall at your disposal, so you are lucky whatever you choose!

10. Re: Moscow, Vladimir, Suzdal, Novgorod

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2014, 07:17