We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ilyushin Aviation Complex

Postojna
Level Contributor
130 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Ilyushin Aviation Complex

Hello,

we are looking for 2 or 3 factories to visit in Moscow in Ocotber.

I am just watching to Ilyushin Aviation Complex in Moscow.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to visit this factory, which I am sure it is very interesting. Or they are totally closed for public like we are?

We are however engineers who will be on professional occupational safety excursion in Moscow this October.

Do you have any other ideas what can we visit in Moscow? Aviation, car and other factories?

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
6,049 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ilyushin Aviation Complex

Others have asked similar questions before here, with not great results. Think you would be better advised to try getting contacts and ideas through professional or educational organizations, chamber of commerce, etc. Just a suggestion. My experience is one cannot simply find such places to vist, but rather needs either a friend or "sponsor" of some sort,

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,204 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ilyushin Aviation Complex

I was not even aware there were airplane factories in Moscow to begin with. VASO, Aviastar, KNAAPO they are all elsewhere

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
6,049 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ilyushin Aviation Complex

I would also say while I have not a clue what sector of the aviation industry (military or civilian), or if there is even a distinction, this is in, despite the Cold War being over, this I believe is a quite sensitive area, so I would be skeptical...heck, disappointed!...if the Russians would simply let a casual visitor come visit such a place...

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,817 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ilyushin Aviation Complex

No factory in the world is open to random visitors from the street. If you want to visit a specifc factory, find their web site, get in touch with them, try to coax them into inviting you. It's the only way.

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ilyushin Aviation Complex

Renault production site is in Moscow, probably the only thing that comes to my mind. Ilyushin Aviation Complex has no actual production in Moscow anymore - it is just a design office these days and they are totally sealed off.

Marassa - you can easily visit, say, VolksWagen plant in Dresden - Maybach production line. The whole factory is transparent - really amasing place, if you are interested in industry/production.

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,817 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ilyushin Aviation Complex

> you can easily visit, say, VolksWagen plant in Dresden

You mean anyone can just walk in from the street and wander around between the cars, the machinery and the workers?

Mentioned in this post
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ilyushin Aviation Complex

Surely not. They let people in in groups, guided and along the assigned route.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ilyushin Aviation Complex

About 25 years ago, I worked as a rocket scientist at the Khrunichev State Research and Production Space Senter. That time it was for sure imposible to take a tour. Since you are engineers, I would advise you call Khrunichev Center's Foreign Economic Relations Department and ask. I have currently no contacts and can not confirm whether it is possible .. try to reach them...who knows. Good luck.

http://www.khrunichev.ru/main.php

KHRUNICHEV STATE RESEARCH AND PRODUCTION SPACE CENTER

18, Novozavodskaya St., 121087 Moscow, RUSSIA

Office of Department for Foreign Economic Relations:

Phone: + 7 (499) 749 – 83 43

Fax: +7 (499) 142– 59 00

E-mail : proton@khrunichev.com

Web: http://www.khrunichev.ru/

Press Point of Contact:

Alexander Bobrenev

Head, Press Department

Phone/Fax: + 7 (499) 749 – 95 69

E-mail: bobrenev.a.v@khrunichev.com

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
6,049 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ilyushin Aviation Complex

Vlad1969, how very interesting! So, now we know who to go to if one our rockets does not work.

But, back to my original point, which I think is, given various responses, very relevant. IF any of the aviation factories are MILITARY-based or related, good luck getting in. The Russians seem to be recovering quite a bit of their previous glory in terms of military aircraft and technology (i.e. compared to issues they had back when the USSR dissolved, etc), and I would, again, be surprised and disappointed if they would let "foreigners" wander around...

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,204 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ilyushin Aviation Complex

Actually its Comrade Hrunichev who has had a string of high profile failures w their rockets so if you want a rocket that works look elsewhere