We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moscow Metro map

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
56 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Moscow Metro map

Hi,

Getting ready for our first trip to Moscow. I was trying to get directions on Google maps from Moscow sites to hotel, etc. All the maps I found have the stations in bold Cyrillic letters. The English names are so faint that I can't make them out.

Can anyone suggest a solution. Are there any maps with names in English? We will also be in St. Petersburg, same problem there.

Thanks so much!

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moscow Metro map

You can just Google Moscow metro and go to the actual web site, and select enlish...I think this will show names of stations OK...although not in both languages

Joensuu, Finland
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moscow Metro map

Yeap, the English titles seem to be unreadable in the Cyrillic maps, nevertheless, there are some maps with the titles in English. The Moscow metro: http://www.wtr.ru/moscow/eng/metro/metro.html and St Petersburg's one: www.saint-petersburg.com/transport/metro/map/

Hope it'll help you!

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moscow Metro map

I am afraid I don't follow. If you go to Google maps it should give you directions, including the Metro stations, in English

Moscow
Level Contributor
822 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moscow Metro map

The official website of the Moscow Metro has this map with stations in English: mosmetro.ru/documents/13014/moscow_metro.pdf

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moscow Metro map

This is going to sound a bit awful

but from what I have heard you need to be able to read the cryllic to know which station to get off so having it in Englsih doesnt always help on the ground

Most of the attractions have the metro station in cryllic, even on their english website, so print off the map and get familiar

Cryllic for me dosen't seem so daunting, KEHT is Kate.. give or take the keyboard so thinking laterally helps

I've printed out a map and circled the metro stops we need in red. and given them a code for the attraction..

just waiting to see if it works, worked in japan and other non Roman character nations eg Hungary

If it doesn't... like many other places in the world how much enjoyment might we get going to places we didn't expect to see

Edited: 09 June 2013, 11:46
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Moscow Metro map

<...but from what I have heard you need to be able to read the cryllic to know which station to get off so having it in Englsih doesnt always help on the ground>

Just use a map with station names in both Cyrillic and English and you will be fine. I think this issue seems to be exaggerated.

Edited: 09 June 2013, 11:56
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
299 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moscow Metro map

//just waiting to see if it works, worked in japan and other non Roman character nations eg Hungary

Hungary is non Roman character nation? may be on a different planet?

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moscow Metro map

GurusW - love your attitude...it will serve you VERY well in Russia! One tiny correction кент would not be KATE but KENT...not sure it helps you or others feel better about Cyrillic, but many if not most letters are close t,or same as Greek...

Most folks indeed do get used to Cyrillic only in stations...just print out as indicated a map with both, and plan your trip in advance by figuring out, counting stops. One fun fact someone else pointed out that can help catch an error ( right train, wrong direction) is that trains heading into downtown do station name announcements with male voice, ones heading out from center female...

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,771 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moscow Metro map

> Just use a map with station names in both Cyrillic and English and you will be fine

And/or count stops.

> I think this issue seems to be exaggerated.

I'd say blown out of all proportion.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moscow Metro map

OMG...my daughter has changed gender.. :)

My greek is preety ordinary but having 2 med students (one who is doing nuclear med and physics and know greek alphabet may help to read the cyrill) great tip

Thanks for the tip male/female announcements

If you've eer been on the Tokyo Subway and separated from your travelling companion when he has the maps abd ticket...there cannot be an out of proportion