We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tip our guide?

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manhattan, KS
Level Contributor
11 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Tip our guide?

Dear more knowledgeable TripAdvisor friends,

My traveling companion and I booked a private guide for a three-hour walking tour of Red Square and the Kremlin. The cost is 7500 rubles. (I know there are less expensive guides; however, we were booking last minute and could not get in elsewhere.)

Two questions: 1) is a tip expected for a private guide?; and 2) if so, how much?

I appreciate the guidance.

Best,

Lisa

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,967 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tip our guide?

If the guide is self-employed then no tip seems to be the standard even in the US, isn't it?

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,660 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tip our guide?

A tour guide would have to pry a tip from my cold dead hands

Tehran, Iran
Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tip our guide?

If its from an agency then you may give a tip . But if you are getting a guide directly there is no reason to tip as 7500 ruble is already expensive for a 3 hour walking tour .

Manhattan, KS
Level Contributor
11 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tip our guide?

Thanks everyone.

This advice is helpful. It's a small agency, Moscow City Guides, but still an agency. Though given the cost, I lean toward the no-tip option since it seems debatable. Ideally, if we choose not to tip, they won't subsequently pry it from my cold, dead hands. lol

I greatly appreciate your time and council.

Best,

Lisa

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,313 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tip our guide?

Gosh, it better be one hellaciously great tour for that price. Maybe the guide should tip you to a coffee break or a beer).

The amount I believe equals half a month salary for a Russian teacher in some places (Moscow even?)

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,660 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tip our guide?

They won't pry tips from your dead fingers - it is not customary to pay baksheesh to tour guides in Russia.

Manhattan, KS
Level Contributor
11 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tip our guide?

It was an excellent tour--one of the highlights of our trip. I posted an update on the tour page. Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers!

8. Re: Tip our guide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 05:17