We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel to Russia with what's going on in Syria

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to travel to Russia with what's going on in Syria

I am scheduled to travel the transiberian railroad from st. petersburg to beijing next month (October/November 2013) and am concerned about the chemical warfare going on in Syria. As a single female American traveling alone, am I at risk if the president of the USA decides to involve himself in the war? This is a trip of a lifetime I have been dreaming of, but am wondering if I should cancel for safety reasons. All advice is appreciated!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,783 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to travel to Russia with what's going on in Syria

> am I at risk if the president of the USA decides to involve himself in the war?

How is that any different from Serbia, Iraq, Libya etc.? Something of the sort is happening in the world all the time, what are we all supposed to do - stop travelling abroad at all?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to travel to Russia with what's going on in Syria

Thank you Marassa. That's exactly what I thought. I have too many people telling me not to go, but I love to travel and have had such a huge passion to come to Russia for years! I just needed a bit of reassurance.

Korolev, Russia
Level Contributor
904 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to travel to Russia with what's going on in Syria

Why? Do you expect the U.S. attack on Russia? I don't see any other reasons for concern.

You can not be afraid of anti-American sentiment. It's in the U.S. can pour French wine, when France did not support the United States. In Russia, even during the war with Georgia in 2008, no one thought to close or otherwise restrict the Georgian restaurants.

Moscow
Level Contributor
822 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to travel to Russia with what's going on in Syria

People will be much more interested in the color of your money than in the content of your passport.

London, United...
Level Contributor
406 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to travel to Russia with what's going on in Syria

jut have a common sense when travelling, especially when visiting big cities like Moscow and St. Petersburg.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
341 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to travel to Russia with what's going on in Syria

Kickchick;

If the US gets involved in Syria, you might be safer in Russia than at home!

I absolutely see no reason to cancel the trip of a lifetime.

I'm going (solo, female) later this month and I am looking forward to it.

Have a great trip!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
499 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to travel to Russia with what's going on in Syria

I don't believe you should be afraid, quite on the contrary.

Russia is an ally of Syria and would be the last to be attacked if the US decides to use force.

You'll be safe. Enjoy the ride and the undoubtedly fantastic experience.

PS: my compliments for traveling alone. It has many assets!

Banbury
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to travel to Russia with what's going on in Syria

I think the concern is whether or not they'll be any anti American feelings rather than some kind of terrorist related attacks.

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,157 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to travel to Russia with what's going on in Syria

Hi,

I agree with others that Syrian situation will have very little direct impact on your Russian experience. There are the same risks when one travels internationally and when one encounters people of different cultures. But US and Russia do not plan on mutual destructions.

In fact it is rather encouraging and unusual that Mr. Putin has decided to address the Americans directly through an op ed in New York Times:

nytimes.com/2013/…

I thought the "speech" was very well written (bravo to the speech writers :). I appreciate his effort to reach out. Americans don't want conflicts, but it also needs other influential countries to help it achieve more peaceful resolutions. Hopefully this particular conflict will have a better ending.

The Russian president closed his editorial with this:

"And I would rather disagree with a case he (Mr. Obama) made on American exceptionalism, stating that the United States’ policy is “what makes America different. It’s what makes us exceptional.” It is extremely dangerous to encourage people to see themselves as exceptional, whatever the motivation. There are big countries and small countries, rich and poor, those with long democratic traditions and those still finding their way to democracy. Their policies differ, too. We are all different, but when we ask for the Lord’s blessings, we must not forget that God created us equal."

Stirring rhetorics from both Obama and Putin. :)

But I do agree that the Russians I had the pleasure of meeting have been all exceptional.

PS. But don't even think about running for any office in the US any time soon Mr. Putin :) Maybe Hollywood will have you cameo in a movie though.

Edited: 12 September 2013, 18:44
Moscow
Level Contributor
488 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to travel to Russia with what's going on in Syria

Hi, amatrip, I wish I shared your enthusiasm for Russian leaders. ;)

It's good enough though that, unlike the communists in the past, they at least leave us to our own devices.

I stand by you in dispelling the OP's apprehensions about coming to Russia in connection with what's on in Syria.

I can't imagine even any nuisance in that regard.

Apart from everything else, the Russians at ground level are no longer that world-minded, they have quite a few of their own domestic problems to attend to and are no longer even addicted to watching international news on television, which was once a widespread passion.

So really no need to worry, especially as the trip is to the Far East and people in many areas there right now are, sadly, much more bothered by a continuing unprecedented flood, with water having risen some 30 feet in some major cities, while winter is almost on the doorstep.

The trans-Siberian railroad, however, appears to have not been affected. So no problems anticipated from that angle, too.

To cut the long story short, I am certain that once kickchick22 gets back from the trip, she will look back and only smile at her past fears.