We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit times between DME international and domestic

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transit times between DME international and domestic

I'm looking to book flights from Sydney, Australia (SYD) to Sochi, Russia (AER) on 18-19 Jan and the best way to do this seems to be a return ticket from SYD to Moscow (DME) and then a separate return ticket from DME to AER. My return is the day after the Winter Olympics finish on 24 Feb. There is 2 hrs 45 mins transit time on the way there, and 3 hrs 25 mins on the way coming back after the Olympics.

I understand that transferring from international to domestic and vice versa at DME involves collecting baggage, checking in again, clearing customs, security and immigration.

Has anyone done this recently, and will this be sufficient time?

Thanks for your help! Any other suggestions welcome!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,850 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit times between DME international and domestic

The times seem ok if your incoming flights are not seriously late. You should keep in mind though that with separate tickets a missed connection is your problem, not the carrier's whose flight was delayed.

As for the procedures: www.domodedovo.ru/en/main/transfer/info/

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit times between DME international and domestic

Thanks - I did see the procedures webpage, but it gave no indication of times. I've read horror posts of people transiting through DME, so am not sure if I'm being overly ambitious with the times...I will have winter Olympics accreditation as my visa. Is there still a need to go to a "transfer agent"?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,850 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit times between DME international and domestic

> I did see the procedures

> Is there still a need to go to a "transfer agent"?

I see no mention of a "transfer agent" in neither intl-to-domestic nor domestic-to-intl procedures.

Edited: 21 November 2013, 13:06
New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,612 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transit times between DME international and domestic

I woulnt obsess abt horror stories. Someone has a bad experience goes rants on the internet. Millions who don't say nothing.

I only been to dme couple times. Was fairly routine.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transit times between DME international and domestic

DME is as good as any other modern airport. However, this is about risk management. With a journey as long as yours from and to Sidney, I would not risk having such a short transit time. I suggest that you try to arrange a longer transit time for the inbound flight if your itinerary permits. I also agree with Marassa above: separate tickets means that you carry the risk - this is false economy if you are going to have transit times of less than half a day. So I suggest that you either book with a single airline/company or you give yourself a day's stay in Moscow. You can of course insure against all risks but that won't help when you are having actually to produce money at the time to rebook flights - bearing in mind that with the Olympics on your chances of getting on another flight are going to be drastically reduced. Anyway, surely if you are coming all that way, you should consider visiting Moscow. You can see quite a lot of the centre in a day.

Edited: 21 November 2013, 21:15
NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transit times between DME international and domestic

Just out of interest, which airlines are you using for Sydney to Moscow and then Moscow to Sochi?

7. Re: Transit times between DME international and domestic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 05:18