We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Military Sights and Victory Day Parade

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
19 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Military Sights and Victory Day Parade

I am planning to go to Moscow and St. Petersburg in 2014. I really want to see some of the historic military sights. Obviously the Victory Day parade in May comes immediately to mind, but I have concerns about the crowds, higher room rates and other costs, etc. I'm wondering if alternate times would be better or if I can see some of the same sights at another location or time of year.

So, my questions are this:

1. Is the parade in May worth setting up my vacation around? Or is is more crowded/expensive to travel this time of year and better to avoid May in particular? Of course I want to see Red Square and the countless other things in Russia and don't want to be delayed by crowds or pay a premium for hotels.

2. Are there other parades any other times of the year that would also have a military feel/presence?

3. Are there any museums open year-round that feature military equipment (tanks, planes, etc.) particularly from the "cold war" era?

Thank you!

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,177 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Military Sights and Victory Day Parade

Well, as for museums - Central Military museum is open every day except Monday. We also have one of the world's best tank museums - http://www.tankmuseum.ru/index-eng.html Definitely worth visiting, if you like the stuff.

Military feel - hourse guards change ceremony on Saturdays in the Kremlin in whe warm season.

As for the 9th of May military parade - you may come, but will still watch it on TV. The only chance to get to Red Square to enjoy is to get an invitation from Putin's Office. This is not aimed at tourists. Some people get hotel rooms facing the streets where troops gather, or stand on the walkways - but not the most spectacular.

As for money matters - May is a nice time to visit. Moscow is not a bargain roung the year, and period between May 1 and May 9 is a relaxed time business-wise and traffic-wise, and you might even save on hotels, although museums might be crowded. Usually the weather is nice also. Probably worth looking at.

Enjoy!

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
19 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Military Sights and Victory Day Parade

Thank you SO much for all the good information. That definitely helps! Good to know that even if I come that time I have little or no chance of actually seeing the parade in person. Is it a kind of nation-wide celebration similar to independence day in the US or other countries? If being there for the parade is not important would you say it it better to come a week earlier or later, or does it not matter? Thanks again!

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Military Sights and Victory Day Parade

The Central Armed Forces museum

http://www.cmaf.ru

is a treasure trove of mil hardware and memorabilia but I doubt they have much signage in English.

The tanks museum in Kubinka is a bit difficult for a foreigner to get into because it is part of an active mil base. It is also some distance away from town. It has some unique specimens like the German Maus tank.

The Air force museum in the town of Monino has every imaginable soviet mil plane.

The Victory park …wikipedia.org/wiki/…_Moscow

has an open air display of ww2 equipment tucked away in the back (which I was not too crazy about)

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
19 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Military Sights and Victory Day Parade

More great information. Thanks for the info. I was concerned about the Kubinka museum because the website had a lot of information about having to request access two weeks in advance, and pay application fees and the like. I'll probably still try that, but it's good to know about the CMAF, the Airforce Museum and the Victory Park too. I studied Russian in high school in the 80s so it should all be very interesting.

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,177 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Military Sights and Victory Day Parade

No more-preclearance for foreigners for tank museum, but must have a passport copy! Read: http://www.tankmuseum.ru/inf.html

Well, 9th of may is kind of national celebration, but not as US Independence day. We greet WW2 veterans, but not too much remained, actually; and many people just remember their relatives who served or died during this war, as almoust everyone here has someone to remember... There are public selebrations and concerts on streets and parks.

Moscow
Level Contributor
845 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Military Sights and Victory Day Parade

You can do what many people do: watch the back end of the parade as it leaves Red Square and drives through Moscow. Or at least, the vehicle component of the parade. You also get to watch the flyover if you're in the right position. The route is generally crowded and you need to get there early if you want to find a decent position.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Military Sights and Victory Day Parade

Let us not forget the huge Borodino battle panorama if you are into Napoleonic wars

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g298484-d3…

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,177 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Military Sights and Victory Day Parade

Another superb hardware place - St. Petersburg, Artillery museum. That is the place to complement tanks from Kubinka! Thius you will enjoy. A Diesel cold-war era submarine is also visitable in Str. Petersburg...

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
19 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Military Sights and Victory Day Parade

Thank you all for your help! I decided it's as good a time as any to visit; maybe better and will be there from May 3 to May 10. Can't wait! The flyover, the museums and even the chance to see the equipment exiting the parade would be amazing sights themselves. Can't wait! Thank you again for all the great information.

Moscow
Level Contributor
845 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Military Sights and Victory Day Parade

Keep in mind that you can also watch the practice runs for the parade - these take place from about 9 p.m. on 3 or 4 evenings prior to May 9.