We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moscow 7th March 2014

Greater Manchester
3 posts
Save Topic
Moscow 7th March 2014

Hello :-)

I wondered if anybody was travelling to Moscow from Manchester on Friday 7th March (easyjet) and would be transferring to Arbat area? Mecure hotel.

I am travelling alone and unsure whether to get Aeroexpress and metro or a taxi. The flight lands at 21:35. If I combined Aeroexpress and metro how long would it take? I would have to advise the hotel if I was checking in around midnight. Would anyone have any suggestions which would be safest method/quickest method?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

With thanks

Louise

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,618 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moscow 7th March 2014

> If I combined Aeroexpress and metro how long would it take?

About an hour from SVO, a little more from DME, not counting waiting for the train.

> Would anyone have any suggestions which would be safest method/quickest method?

No major difference, but a cab will be less predictable time-wise. Can turn out both much faster and much slower.

London, United...
Level Contributor
407 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moscow 7th March 2014

if you feel you are nervous then preorder a transfer

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moscow 7th March 2014

A compromise might be use the Aero option of pre-booking a taxi right at the ticket station...but, you will likely want and need a cell phone. This close in, travel time uncertainty goes down a bit, and the cabs i have used from Beloruski Station run around 500 rubles or so...not that cheap.

I am just not sure about whether you can get a taxi with someone who speaks English or whatever language you need, but think others have done OK...

No doubt the Aero will cover a large chunk of the way with no worries about traffic, but I for one would not want to be tossed into figuring out the Metro your first minutes in Moscow

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moscow 7th March 2014

I wouldn't have thought that traffic would be too horrendous at that time of night, even in Moscow! If you're a little concerned about navigating through the metro or arranging an Aeroexpress taxi on arrival in the city centre at night (and fair enough!), I'd suggest that a taxi from the airport - or, as Justgorussia says, a pre-booked transfer via someone like go-to.ru - would be the least complicated option, if not the least expensive. But sometimes these things are worth the splurge. :)

amsterdam
Level Contributor
76 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moscow 7th March 2014

Hi Louise, Easyjet arrives at Domodedova. Every 30 minutes until midnight a train goes to metro station Paveletskaya. Takes exactly 45 minutes. 340 rouble. From Paveletskaya you take metro green line to Teatralnaya (2 stops) and change to bleu line to Smolenskaya station (2 stops). 20 -25 minutes. Mercure Arbat is outside the station (don't go to Arbatskaya station!). Metro is 40 rouble or cheaper (30) if you buy 20 rides-ticket. Metro's run till 01.00 am. This is a save trip, especially because you stay in the centre. A taxi from Domodedova at that time of day is also good alternative. Takes about 1 hour or less. In the arrival hall punters fall over you offering taxi's. Moscow price is 1,500 rouble to centre but they will ask 5,000 rouble. Don't and never pay more than 2,000 rouble ("dwa-teeseetje")! Play cool. Taxi is also safe in terms of trustworthy, but some drivers..... Have fun in Moscow, great city!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
486 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moscow 7th March 2014

Louise,

I would recommend against taking the train and metro if you have lots of luggage and/or you are not comfortable navigating the metro. If you do your homework the metro is easy to use, but it can get frustrating if you do not have a map or an app before use the subway.

JV

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moscow 7th March 2014

thats a great reply paul,,, i will be going to the same hotel next month... where can i get a good map from that is in both english and russian,, the guide books for some reason dont print one..

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moscow 7th March 2014

Agree 100% on relying on Metro when you arrive - I would not want to have you have to figure the Metro out immediately upon your arrival - especially one including transfers, which can get a bit tricky...and if you have more than light carry-on, forgetaboutit!

Splurge on a taxi/airport transfer (see article under Top Questions)...or, combine with Aero - but just realize when you grab a cab from Paveletskaya, make sure you do not get ripped off...I am thinking no more than 500 rubles, but this is my experience from last summer (for sure, you may find someone willing to do this for say 1,000!)...

amsterdam
Level Contributor
76 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moscow 7th March 2014

@kelo: http://engl.mosmetro.ru/flash/scheme01.html

10. Re: Moscow 7th March 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 04:18