We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
pounds to rubles

Hi, this is my first trip to russia and I have no idea about money exchange.

Which is the best way to get rubles? Some people say the best way would be to withdraw money from ATM. So is it possible to withdraw with HSBC debit card? How much would be the fee?

Or any suggestions to get rubles in London or Moscow?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pounds to rubles

> is it possible to withdraw with HSBC debit card?

Yes, if you inform HSBC that you're going to Russia so that they don't freak out and cancel your card upon seeing a transaction from here.

> How much would be the fee?

Ask HSBC.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g298484-i718-k72760…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294459-s601/Russia:B…

Edited: 13 March 2014, 16:03
Liverpool England
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pounds to rubles

Look at Caxton Global pre paid cards, you get a good rate with no fees or charges, post office credit card is free for purchases with no commission but charges for cash withdrawals.

If you use your debit cards you will probably pay a fee to the Russian bank who own the ATM, a fee to HSBC and maybe a not so good exchange rate. HSBC will spell out the charges, perhaps our Russian friends can advise if ATM's charge in Russia (in the UK they don't charge as a rule and if they do have to make it clear what the cost will be).

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,294 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pounds to rubles

I am not in Russia, but have used ATM literally hundreds of times, and there is no fee from the Russian bank, and as I have stated previously, the initial exchange rate is not set by any bank, but rather by the huge, global networks all these transactions settle thru, and as such, offer the best, most transparent exchange rates. That is, they are pretty much at exchange rates posted by central banks.

Admittedly, your bank will likely have some nominal per use fee. If you are "valued customer" of your bank, they might well waive these, though.

But whatever you do, if you use your bank card, as stated, make sure you advise the bank of your trip so they do not inadvertently shut your card down for suspected fraudulent activity.

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pounds to rubles

So do Russian ATM's of one bank serve customers of other banks without charge, this is the case in the UK except where the ATM is in a place with a captive audience such as in a theme park or inside a pub and then it must tell you the charge, usually £2.50p per transaction, and give you the option to cancel or pay a fee.

In the USA I found all ATMs charged a flat fee of 2 to 3 dollars.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,294 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pounds to rubles

I hear you on the pay or accept charge...yes, we have this in US. I have always stuck to using ATMs directly associated with major Russian banks, and especially those right at their offices. In all such cases (literally hundreds of uses), have never been faced with the charge you mention. I am guessing had I used some generic, street corner one, perhaps there would have been a convenience fee...

Chessington, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
746 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pounds to rubles

If you have a Nationwide Flex plus account then there are no ATM withdraw charges worldwide where you use your debit card to get cash

London, United...
Level Contributor
407 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pounds to rubles

we would not advise buying rouble in the UK as the rate is very unfavourable, so the best option is to withdraw from ATM and you can control how much you need.

there are ATMs at the airport. Credit cards are also widely accepted

but if you really want to have peace of mind before your tirp, then get roubles before your trip.

8. Re: pounds to rubles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2015, 05:17