We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May 9 in Moscow and seats on Moscow-St Peters Sapsan

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Townsville...
Level Contributor
138 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
May 9 in Moscow and seats on Moscow-St Peters Sapsan

My wife and I will be in Moscow from May 8-12 and would greatly appreciate any suggestions for what to do on Victory Day (May 9).

1. Is there a place we can go to see the parade, or at least somewhere to see the flypast of the predicted 69 aeroplanes on May 9?

2. Understanding that Red Square will be closed on May 8, any suggestions on what we should do that day?

Also, we want to travel from Moscow to St Petersburg on the Sapsan train 158A leaving at 13.30pm on 13 May.

My wife suffers from travel sickness and must face the direction of travel.

Can you please advise which seats in Car 2 (Sitting 1C) face the same direction as the train is travelling?

I have tried to get this information from the website but without success.

Cheers

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
518 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: May 9 in Moscow and seats on Moscow-St Peters Sapsan

Simple question first

>> Can you please advise which seats in Car 2 (Sitting 1C) face the same direction as the train is travelling?

Please have a look here http://pass.rzd.ru/dbmm/images/8/121/58322

St.Petersburg is to the right. Moscow is to the left

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
2,844 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May 9 in Moscow and seats on Moscow-St Peters Sapsan

Well, best view of the parade is on TV... Red Sq. wil indeed be closed on May 8th, and you can choose any activity in Moscow you like - museums, parks, day outside the city - Moscow is rather big, and can offer a lot - what are your interests?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
518 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: May 9 in Moscow and seats on Moscow-St Peters Sapsan

>> at least somewhere to see the flypast

Try Sofiyskaya Naberezhnaya - the embankment opposite to Kremlin. It will certainly be crowded though.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
502 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May 9 in Moscow and seats on Moscow-St Peters Sapsan

1. Is there a place we can go to see the parade, or at least somewhere to see the flypast of the predicted 69 aeroplanes on May 9?

as the above poster said, that's a good place indeed! Here are some photos I took on May 7th, during the general rehearsal. Not sure if security might be more strict for the day itself, I haven't tried, but I'm certainly intending to.

…photobucket.com/albums/…39_zps945cdaa5.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…38_zps625a295d.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…37_zpsc7a2dd44.jpg

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
502 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May 9 in Moscow and seats on Moscow-St Peters Sapsan

also, on a sidenote, unless the wind comes from the north, chances are you will not hear anything of the marching music. the sound of the cannons going off during the anthem compensates for that though.

Edited: 06 April 2014, 20:03
Townsville...
Level Contributor
138 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May 9 in Moscow and seats on Moscow-St Peters Sapsan

Thanks so much for your advice and the photos. We are looking forward to visiting Moscow.

7. Re: May 9 in Moscow and seats on Moscow-St Peters Sapsan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2015, 05:16