We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to travel to Moscow

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Myers, Florida
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Safe to travel to Moscow

Hello,

I am traveling to greece and there were tons of direct flights from Miami to Moscow, so I decided to stay 2 days in Moscow before my greece trip. My trip is at the end of May, so I'm a little nervous about getting a tourist visa in time and traveling by myself as a girl, specifically with everything going on in Ukraine.

Do you think it's safe to travel and how much will a tourist Visa cost?

Thanks!

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
2,568 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to travel to Moscow

Ukraine is at least 1000 k m from Moscow. No need to worry. Cost of tourist visa is $140 consular fee plus costs of the company, which will collect your passport, and send it back to you and such. May contact consulate directly - but have no idea, if Russia has one in your area...

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
518 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to travel to Moscow

If you worry about the safety and have time, you may search the forum and read the discussions www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums…

For visa information please read this article first tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294459-s602/Russia:C…

Obtaining Russian visa is a bit of a process so I'd maybe allocate more than 2 days for Moscow.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
499 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to travel to Moscow

as avidclam says, given the cost of visa relative to the duration of the stay, you might opt to stay a bit longer.

that said, I imagine your flights are probably booked by now.

Allocate 1 full day to the Kremlin and everything around it (not Thursday though, as it is closed. Lenin is closed on Monday and Friday), including the 'inspiring Tobias walking tour' which is preferably to be done on sunset: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6265419

Allocate another day to where your interests lie. Maybe you could tell me what your fields of interests are and I can help?

Fort Myers, Florida
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to travel to Moscow

Thank you for the link! I'm new to the site and still getting used to navigating, TripAdvisor is so helpful though!

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,807 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to travel to Moscow

We aim to please...and we are truly blessed to have so many excellent native contributors! You for sure will never be lacking for a lot of information, including some lively debate!

Fort Myers, Florida
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe to travel to Moscow

Thank you for the link! I'm new to the site and still getting used to navigating, TripAdvisor is so helpful though!

And yes, unfortunately I have booked my tickets. I definitely didn't take into consideration the process and money for the tourist Visa.Since I'm flying out of Moscow back to the states after my trip to Athens, maybe I could take advantage of going back if I enjoy it.

Technically I only have 1 full day there, which I'm definitely going to allocate to the Kremlin and that area.

Here's my short but sweet trip:

I'm looking at hotels around the Paveletksaya Metro/ Paveletsky Railway station. I'm flying into VKO and my flight to Athens is out of DME so it seemed like a smart location for me.

Get in Thursday afternoon May 22nd: I would love to enjoy a good but reasonable Russian dinner somewhere

Friday: Kremlin and walk around the main area(any areas I should avoid?)

Saturday: I'm not sure what I want to do yet, my flights not until 7 out of DME so I would love to maybe go to a park nearby in the morning.. not sure yet

If I DID have all day Saturday- what would you suggest for another full day?

Thank you for the advise!

7. Re: Safe to travel to Moscow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 April 2014, 21:05
Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,807 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe to travel to Moscow

I am sure we can turn this into a lively discussion on recent events, but we all understand this is not the place to air one's grievances. I am asking this post be removed.

9. Re: Safe to travel to Moscow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2015, 06:16