We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current use of ATM in Russia

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
245 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Current use of ATM in Russia

Given the current sanctions will there be any problem using atm's in Russia. We are traveling in May. Wondering if we can get rubles through ATM in the airport or should we exchange in advance.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,543 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current use of ATM in Russia

Last time I looked no ATMs were in the sanction list.

> Wondering if we can get rubles through ATM in the airport

Sure you can, but don't forget to tell your bank where you are going or they can freak out and sanction your card.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
366 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current use of ATM in Russia

Sanctions are not against ATM's, they are against a small quantity of Russian banks. If your bank isn't Russian, what a problem? And of course, notify your bank where you are going, just to be on the safe side.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
16 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current use of ATM in Russia

Sanctions are not against ATMs, but ATMs are owned by banks. If a bank is cut from VISA/MC network, it's ATMs will be like computers without internet connection. So far, only few banks have been affected by the sanctions, and chance of finding working ATM in Russia is still very high.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Current use of ATM in Russia

Not exactly. Visa and MasterCard stopped servicing cards issued by several sanctioned Russian banks, including SMP Bank, Bank Rossiya and Sobinbank, but you can still withdraw money from ATMs owned by these banks. If you do not have a card issued by a sanctioned Russian bank you are fine.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
484 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current use of ATM in Russia

mugsy, I have had no issues with Citibank here. Also, I tried to do a travel alert with my Chase checking account and they will not put the travel alert on my account. They stated it is a high risk country.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
245 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current use of ATM in Russia

So you are not having problems with atm's. Any other issues to be aware of.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,303 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current use of ATM in Russia

Odd about Chase not accepting travel alerts, high-risk country or not. I have a CC with them, and the always duly note this (including right now!). Are you saying they are saying here I assume they will NOT make note of this for your debit card? That sounds really ominous and bad to me. I guess if they are saying "we will honor all and you are on your own", that is one thing, if they are saying "heck, we are shutting this all down, don't even try to use it cuz we will reject", then I fear we are entering a new phase of dangerous actions given current events.

Trust me, I am NOT trying to stir up panic, quite the opposite...

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
245 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Current use of ATM in Russia

I will be contacting Chase, American Express and Wells Fargo. Will report on what they say

Moscow
Level Contributor
854 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Current use of ATM in Russia

I find it's always good to have a cash backup (about $100 in rubles) as 2 out of 10 times my card is not accepted. Nothing to do with sanctions etc, just some coffee shop or other place not accepting the card for some inexplicable technical reason.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,543 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Current use of ATM in Russia

If you only have an AmEx card then I'd say you'd be lucky if your card is accepted 5 times out of 10. I have recently obtained one and so far the chances of it being accepted in Moscow (as opposed to VISA/MC) seem about 50/50. But I'm speaking about restaurants/shops here, I think most ATMs will take an AmEx.