We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current use of ATM in Russia

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
238 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Current use of ATM in Russia

Given the current sanctions will there be any problem using atm's in Russia. We are traveling in May. Wondering if we can get rubles through ATM in the airport or should we exchange in advance.

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Current use of ATM in Russia

One thought:

Ask you bank if they can get you some rubels before you leave. It might not be the cheapest way, but that way you have some no matter what. Covers any sort of problem that could come up.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
238 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Current use of ATM in Russia

Not a bad idea. One of my credit card companies pointed out that the problem is not American credit cards or ATM cards, but if the bank we are using to get cash from is on the sanction list they will not accept our ATM card.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,037 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Current use of ATM in Russia

I think this is not a good idea. If you indeed feel you are not going to be able to rely on either your credit or debit card over there, you will need a fistful of rubles, and you will get ripped off horribly on exchange rate. There are boatloads of banks over there, including branches of some Western banks still open. All the banks sanctioned so far have been very small ones (ones that supposedly are FOP - friends of Putin's...or FFOP- friends of friends of Putin.

I would say use your ATM card, but stick to bigger Russian banks like Sberbank (huge, largest by far) VTB 24, Alpha- Bank and Bank of Moscow, or, branches of Citibank if you prefer.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
238 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Current use of ATM in Russia

Thanks for that advice Ebertsj. Will there be atm's at the airport?

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,037 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Current use of ATM in Russia

Yup...bunches...those puppies are all over...I actually believe Russia has more ATMs per capita then any other country...somewhat to do with there being more use of cash, no checks, etc.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
476 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Current use of ATM in Russia

Just to clarify, I have not had any issues using my Chase debit card in Russian ATMs. I have noticed that some banks will only allow you to withdraw a certain amount of rubles. For example, Citibank will only let me withdraw a maximum of 10,000 rubles. Other banks only allow 7,500.

I always keep enough cash on hand if my credit card does not work.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,037 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Current use of ATM in Russia

Re: withdrawal limits. I do know that typical each machine will limit one to 8-10K rubles (I use Russian bank ones myself). Having said that, I am pretty sure one can simply get 10K rubles at one machine, then move on to another machine or worst case bank's machine, and get yourself another 8-10K. That is, pretty sure the NETWORK is NOT tracking your overall usage.

That being said, your bank ISSUING you debit card may well have daily limits, which they can and will enforce real-time.

If I am mistaken here, would be happy to be corrected.

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Current use of ATM in Russia

I used a British pre paid MasterCard and MasterCard credit card without difficulty even for small amounts, e.g. 300 roubles, I saw Visa and MasterCard stickers everywhere.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,037 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Current use of ATM in Russia

Thank you for report...as we have all advised here many times, ATMs are a very reliable, and exchange neutral way to get cash in Russia. It seems some folks still have some doubts...

20. Re: Current use of ATM in Russia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 05:16