We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visa/invite letter

London, United...
Level Contributor
450 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
visa/invite letter

Hi all

my visa company has told me that the hotel information of where i am staying has been registered with the russian embassy,(when they processed my visa) ,and that i don`t need to show invite letters at the passport control,just the visa,which i have received,is this information correct,

has anybody else been told this.

thanks for any help

mungled

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
503 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visa/invite letter

Yes they are correct, the purpose of invitation document is for the visa application process. It has no value after that. In fact you can change your plans & stay somewhere else. Though if you are worried you can always take a copy. Immigration is in my experience more friendly then the embassy. Enjoy your trip.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,324 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visa/invite letter

> i don`t need to show invite letters at the passport control,just the visa

Correct.

London, United...
Level Contributor
450 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visa/invite letter

thankyou peter c and marassa for your replies...

I am hoping that if i am stopped and asked to show documents then the proof given by the hotels and copies of my passport and visa will be enough.

i am now trying to book my sapsan ticket....

but that`s another stotry.....

thankyou mungled

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,095 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visa/invite letter

As almost all knowledgeable folks here will tell you, you are not likely to get stopped...this is a very old "story". Assuming you do, just keep a copy of your passport with you (I strongly urge you NOT to carry your original). As for other papers, as with passing thru Passport Control, they are not going to care about this much.

I don't think we have anyone post here in the last 3 years at least about any issues either being hassled or showing a copy. Worst case is the cops might ask you to go get the original...but this is huge hassle for them as well...they don't want to be following you around...unless you are a spy, of course...you aren't right ;-)

Edited: 09 May 2014, 15:54
London, United...
Level Contributor
406 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visa/invite letter

the most important thing is to be registered in Russia, but if you are staying at the hotel, they shoudl do this for you, so no need to worry

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visa/invite letter

We just got back from a terrific trip. You do not need your invite letters etc. just your passport which is embossed with your visa. You don't need to fill in a landing card or anything like that, the whole process was like visiting Spain, except the immigration / Border guards all looked about 19 years old and many were young girls.

We were told by our Hotel not to carry our original passport and they offered to photocopy it for me, but I had a copy with me.

Not once were we hassled by security, which was everywhere as it was the week leading up to the parade, we got lost outside the Lubyanka looking for the Kids store, which is closed as its being renovated, a polite police man approached and asked if we were OK, we explained we were looking for nearest Metro, he gave us directions in broken English, no hassle at all, he was guarding a large modern Government building just along from the Lubyanka.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,324 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visa/invite letter

> he was guarding a large modern Government building just along from the Lubyanka

It was the FSB (earlier known as KGB) headquarters.

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visa/invite letter

I thought that was the building with all the scaffolding along the front next to the kids store also full of scaffolding, this building was further down the street towards red sq and had flags over the doorway, the building was quite impressive in a white marble type cladding. It faced other building's not onto the square with the roundabout.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,324 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visa/invite letter

Hm, white marble? Sorry, can't easily identify that, especially considering that at least three streets go sort of "towards Red Square" from there... Now if you could try pinpointing it on a google map (that would give us the street address) then it might become easier. There's the Duma (Parliament) building in the same street as the Kids' World store but it's quite a walk, beyond Bolshoi Theater.

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: visa/invite letter

Sorry not white but marble on street view its

Teatralnyy proyezd, 3 строение 2