We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to St Petersburg - advice needed please

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to St Petersburg - advice needed please

Hello friends

Firstly this time in 2 weeks we will be boarding a plane from Australia to go to Moscow. - very excited !!

Secondly i would love some advice please :)

Due to our schedule we only have 1 day that we can possibly go to St Petersburg, we really want to go and previously someone said on here to us don't bother if its only a day or overnight, however we are determined to go!

So there is a flight at 0615 from SVO TO LED, on Monday 2 June and then we were hoping to get the 1930 flight back same day LED-SVO, there is also flights around similar time from/to DME.

We are staying in Moscow near metro station sportivnaya, however i think it is 3 trains to get to the airport, so if we book private airport transfers to take us and pick us up for the airport, is that quicker? Will we miss traffic if we are leaving the hotel at 4am? Also which airport would be better to travel in/out of for this trip? (i have no idea how long it takes to drive to and from these airports)

I have read a few forums that says train is better, is that the case in this situation as well? We can get the first morning train 0630 that arrives by 11, then get the late one back to moscow.

We are thinking of getting a private guide in St Petersburg, due to the short in time - would that be recommended someone to pick us up from airport/train and take us around for the day ? We want to see the winter palace but not sure what else, any suggestions on what we can see in this short time?

Thank you very much for any help you can provide

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg
Northwestern District, Russia
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,770 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to St Petersburg - advice needed please

> I have read a few forums that says train is better, is that the case in this situation as well?

Absolutely. You'll spend as much time flying, travelling to/from the airports, sitting in the airports as it would take to get a train from city center to city center. And consider taking overnight trains - this way you have a chance to get some sleep which you won't get if you take a 6am flight.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to St Petersburg - advice needed please

Its a bit fragile situation as our inviter has paid our whole accom so we worry he might be offended if we go away for one night when he has already arranged it and paid it for us...

Is it easy to sleep on the overnight train?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,770 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to St Petersburg - advice needed please

> Its a bit fragile situation as our inviter has paid our whole accom so we worry he might be offended if we go away for one night when he has already arranged it and paid it for us...

I see but if the inviter really cares about you, your interests and your comfort then I'm sure he/she/they will understand and forgive.

> Is it easy to sleep on the overnight train?

Definitely beats trying to sleep in the taxi then in the airport then in the airplane seat then in the taxi again ;)

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to St Petersburg - advice needed please

>>Is it easy to sleep on the overnight train?<<

Very, if you go first class on the Red Arrow.

:)

We find it easy to sleep on trains - in first and second class (my comment above was tongue in cheek, although it was our experience!), haven't travelled in third - but we always feel really tired when we arrive at our destination. Others bounce off the train like spring lambs and make the most of the day. It will depend on you, really. I love overnight trains but not everyone does!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to St Petersburg - advice needed please

if we get the first train at 0645, the metro wont get us there is time as first train from sportivnaya is at 0612.

What s the best way to get to Moskva OKT by 6am?

thanks!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to St Petersburg - advice needed please

^^ mockba

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
518 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to St Petersburg - advice needed please

>> first train from sportivnaya is at 0612

Is it? http://mosmetro.ru/info/time/ sais it's 5:46

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to St Petersburg - advice needed please

Such a shame you only have one day Karen - St Petersburg is such a fabulous city that you really need a few days minimum. That said, if you really want to do it, I too recommend the train as the trip out to the airport in both cities is some distance. DME is a good hour from the centre of Moscow by taxi - I know because I did this last year. Have you considered a day trip closer to Moscow? Not that I really want to deter anyone from going to St P, but seriously, you do need more than a day.

Mentioned in this post
St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,770 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to St Petersburg - advice needed please

> if we get the first train at 0645, the metro wont get us there is time

Well, theoretically you have a chance as it's only a 17 minutes ride, no line changes, but if you are not familiar with the metro and the train station then it does look a bit risky.

You can arrange a taxi transfer - the hotel is likely to charge double going price but you have mentioned the inviter who is presumably local - I guess they can arrange a reasonably priced taxi for you.

Also, maybe you should think about moving your trip to St.Pete flush to your arrival to or departure from Russia. This way you could fly to St.Pete as soon as you land in Moscow, skipping a trip to the city or vice versa.

Mentioned in this post
Russia
Russia
Europe
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to St Petersburg - advice needed please

Unfortunately changing our trip is impossible as we have commitments within Russia so only can do St Petersburg on that Monday. I know it's a shame and we won't see much. Thanks for the help we will get the train and I must have been looking at a different metro timetable site (hopto) so will need to make sure I'm looking at the right one.

One last question - is moscow and especially st Petersburg as bad as they say for pick pockets? We are well travelled ppl and quite subtle etc. but just want to know to what extent do we need to go to to hide money/etc on us.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Russia
Russia
Europe
St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg