We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

exchanging australian dollars 2014

Melbourne
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
exchanging australian dollars 2014

Hello, I am travelling to St Petersburg and Moscow in August 2014 and would like to know if anyone has been able to exchange australian dollars for rubbles at any of the russian banks. I am particularly more interested in exchanging money in moscow. I know about using your atm card, etc. Just want to know about using aussie cash.

Mentioned in this post
St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg
Northwestern District, Russia
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: exchanging australian dollars 2014

This recent thread should help with the Moscow part of the question.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298484-i718-k7452…

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
australia
Level Contributor
215 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: exchanging australian dollars 2014

Not sure why you would want to take cash when there is an ATM on every corner.

The Aussie dollar is not like the Euro, US dollar or Great British Pound. We saw some money change places but I can guarantee you won't get a good rate. No one wants the Aussie dollar.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,929 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: exchanging australian dollars 2014

Thank you for sharing...I got waved off by the comment about the OP knowing about ATMs. It is not that they don't want the Aussie dollar as such, just that, not unlike me trying to get rubles in the US, they just do not have a good reason to want to be buying them from anyone (since they would theoretically be doing so partly to have some on hand for their customers.

As stated in the article, the way rates are set for exchange operations at ATMs, with the exception of potential per use fees from your bank, you will get an absolutely "fair" rate.

Edited: 04 June 2014, 11:55
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: exchanging australian dollars 2014

hey there, I am an Australian and have travelled to Moscow a couple of times.... I found the only place with reasonable rates to exchange AUD cash is at the 'Sberbank.' They are in major cities and scattered around. Pretty much almost the same exchange as using an Australian Debit/Credit card to withdraw cash. But even when I wanted some quick cash from an ATM i didn't find the exchange rates so bad either from the Australian banks. But I think in case to take some Euros or US dollars with you. I find USD to be better value for money than Euros.

Edited: 06 June 2014, 14:04
Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
5. Re: exchanging australian dollars 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2015, 05:16