We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm confused about hostels in Moscow...

Newcastle
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
I'm confused about hostels in Moscow...

I am currently looking for a hostel in Moscow. I have been reading various reviews of various hostels across several websites.

One thing that keeps cropping up is travelers saying that some hostels have people living in them? i.e. people live in the dorm rooms where beds are rented out. Is this true for a lot of hostels in Moscow?

Secondly, I am going to Moscow to meet a friend, but they have their own accommodation. This means that I will be staying in a hostel by myself. Is this a safe option for a single white Western woman?

Thank you kindly for any responses.

Korolev, Russia
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm confused about hostels in Moscow...

Pay attention to the Godzillas Hostels

http://godzillashostel.com/ru/

telegraph.co.uk/travel/hotel/36477/Godzillas…

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm confused about hostels in Moscow...

I believe a number of hostels are in fact "home" to migrant workers (nothing against them but this is a very different environment than your typical "tourist" hostel). From following posts here over the years, I would strongly recommend you use great caution. For sure, think Traclball has started you on the right path with the Godzilla's suggestion. I think that has gotten consistently high marks here.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm confused about hostels in Moscow...

Thank you for your replies. I have nothing against people living in a hostel permanently, but a lot of reviewers are saying that they didn't feel welcome in the hostel because of the people who permanently lived there. I don't think I want to put myself into that kind of atmosphere. I'm in Moscow to have fun, not to be a nuisance.

What is so good about Godzillas?

Moscow
Level Contributor
845 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm confused about hostels in Moscow...

Godzillas is owned and managed by a Brit. Of course that in itself doesn't necessarily make it good or otherwise. However, the hostel is regularly rated at the top end of hostels in Moscow. Plus it's located in very convenient location.

Edited: 17 June 2014, 16:46
Moscow
Level Contributor
845 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm confused about hostels in Moscow...

You could check out Napoleon Hostel. Coincidentally, co-owned by a Brit too. Here's a recent article on the hostel: moscowexpatlife.ru/article/…

Newcastle
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm confused about hostels in Moscow...

Thank you Riko, however Napoleon Hostel is one of the hostels that reviewers are saying has people living there permanently... I don't think I would feel comfortable with that.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
201 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm confused about hostels in Moscow...

Here's my reply to an earlier thread about hostels:

Here are some links to some of the newer and nicer hostels, all with central locations (none of them exactly next door to the Kremlin, but all of the locations are great, very convinient for walking around the city centre). You might be able to find something within your budget:

backpacker-hostel.ru

hostelabc.com

z-hostel.ru

indiehousehostel.com

atatelier.ru

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,458 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm confused about hostels in Moscow...

> Napoleon Hostel is one of the hostels that reviewers are saying has people living there permanently... I don't think I would feel comfortable with that

Consider changing your forum nickname to Picky Backpacker ;)

London, United...
Level Contributor
465 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm confused about hostels in Moscow...

I've just returned from moscow and st petersburg,i had my own ropm in 2 hostels,the first in tverskaya street in which i had to share bathroom and toilet and the second was in old arbatskaya street with my own bath/shower toilet,washing machine...i really don't like hostels ...but was in restaurants every night and out everyday so not to bad...the first was called moscow style hostel and second faro.

10. Re: I'm confused about hostels in Moscow...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 05:16