We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying train tickets from the rzd.ru.en site ...

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
buying train tickets from the rzd.ru.en site ...

I've read reviews of people navigating this site easily in English (not my experience to date) & also of a period when the English site wasn't working. Has anyone used it recently? I've created an account & am trying to book the St Petersburg- Moscow sleeper train but once I click on the 'show time table' everything goes into Russian again. Is this a glich?

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,142 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buying train tickets from the rzd.ru.en site ...

I get the same thing. I have a vague feeling that this is connected somewhat with the fact that RZD increasingly is not accepting credit cards from a number of Western countries, at least all of North America. That is, not that a lot of other folks around the world use English, but don't think they care that much...this site - English Version - seems to have a number of issues lately,,,all fatal.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buying train tickets from the rzd.ru.en site ...

It's working perfectly for me.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,142 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buying train tickets from the rzd.ru.en site ...

Did you select the trains and proceed? When I got to that point, as OP stated, it reverted to Russian...

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buying train tickets from the rzd.ru.en site ...

Yes, it let me pick the train, the class of travel, which carriage number I wanted and so forth. Then it took me to the login page to buy my ticket. I can't remember my login details, so I didn't go further than that.

I've just tried it again for a random date in July - same thing.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
529 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: buying train tickets from the rzd.ru.en site ...

The RZD site is getting better, but in my experience does lack english pages in certain parts. I recommend using a browser translation tool (I use Google Translate plugin with the Chrome Browser). This way you can get the browser to translate any page.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: buying train tickets from the rzd.ru.en site ...

>>When I got to that point, as OP stated, it reverted to Russian...

same here :( May be rzd web-site "works" differently in different browsers - I use Mozilla and it didn't work...

Halwimsey, what browser did you use?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: buying train tickets from the rzd.ru.en site ...

Thanks - I'm just wondering if this is someway connected to which browser is used - a few months ago I picked a closer date & it seemed to work, was just too early for us, Our Chrome then got corrupted and I've been using Mozilla recently - did you use Google Chrome - this may be the problem as suggested by Peter. May have to wrestle the i-pad from my husband!

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: buying train tickets from the rzd.ru.en site ...

Or re-install Chrome.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: buying train tickets from the rzd.ru.en site ...

I'm using a recent (not the latest) version of Firefox. It can be glitchy on some sites, but seems happy enough with RZD at the moment.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
529 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: buying train tickets from the rzd.ru.en site ...

You can only book tickets upto 45 days before departure, so website changes depending on the date. That is there is no 'shopping cart' if more then 45 days (that is for domestic travel, I think the international tickets may be 60 days).