We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is it?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
180 posts
586 reviews
Save Topic
What is it?

I've just finished my first day in Moscow and loved it but could someone please tell me the significance of a monument in Aleksandrovskiy Gardens. It is just down from the Tomb of the Unknown soldier and it is made up of pieces of destroyed buildings. I'd greatly appreciate it.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is it?

You mean the "grotto"? It was supposed to symbolize the reconstruction of Moscow after the Napoleon invasion, Added to that, grottos were a fashionable thing at the time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
180 posts
586 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is it?

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes that is it.

Moskow
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is it?

Upper garden is a grotto "Ruins", also known as "Italian grotto." Grotto in the garden is intended as a reminder of the war in 1812, his wings are lined with rubble Moscow buildings destroyed by Napoleon's army.

(from wikipedia)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
180 posts
586 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is it?

Thanks, PiterGS

5. Re: What is it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 05:17