We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moscow Trip Report: Day 4

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
543 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Moscow Trip Report: Day 4

Again, worked today so not much to report. I did go to dinner w my co workers & my husband at Balkon Restaurant right in Lotte Plaza: http://balkon-restaurant.ru/

Very nice atmosphere, very big & airy yet cozy. Bread everywhere (seriously). very attentive service. English menu available for food, but they said not for drink menu. Giant bread basket for all. i kept dropping my napkin for some reason and they kept giving me a new one. I had a Pimm's cup for a drink - that turned out to be a pitcher of Pimm's. Yum. Husband ordered a Gin (Hendricks) and Tonic and he asked for a double but he said it was more like like a quadruple. (he also received the rest of the tonic water bottle on the side.) I had a yummy Carbonara and he had Sea Bass he said was perfect. Service attentive yet discreet the whole time. Not bad price (esp for area) as we had 7 people w drinks & some desserts and tea and it was 15,270 rubles ( $452.16 USD)

Stopped in Lotte Hotel bar for a nightcap drink - Macallan for the husband and i had a mojito that was full of crushed ice and tons of mint - very fresh. Stellar service @ the lounge/ car area. i as much as put my straw wrapper down & they swooped in & picked it up.

Husband did Tsaritsyno Park today - hard to find from the Metro stop, even though close to Metro stop. (stay tuned for review). He also noted you paid for a ticket, had to check your bag & wear booties over your shoes - yet there was no direction on where to go/ where not to go. He said H & a bunch of families were just wandering around the mansion - not knowing what to do. No maps available & he noted a lot of doors said "no entry", but then people were in & out of those doors. He noted there were staircases that weren't roped off & didn't have a sign, but when they went up the 3 floors, at the TOP of the stairs was a "no entry" sign & rope. He noted there are only two rooms furnished to the period & the rest are basically empty. He noted there were odd "modern tapestries" in some places. He noted he did get to see Dostoyevsky's desk & Chekhov's cane & Pushkin's spectacles .. but not much else. The wooded areas around are huge & easy to get lost in, but very pretty.

He then viewed the "Musical Fountain" in the park - and laughed. He noted its a "normal fountain" and that it was blasting modern Muzak music. He said it was horrible & he kept waiting for a) the fountain to "do something magical" or b) some applicable music to come on. Nope. Perhaps it only performs at night or at certain times? He said it was playing Stevie Wonder Muzak. (There is video - we will post.)

We're super tired & trying to call it an early night. Still a bit light here @ 11pm.

Tomorrow: we are trying for St. Basil's, History Museum... and we'll see what else. Co workers noted an arch/ dome in Mayakovskaya as they noted the 'legend' of "It is thus possible to throw a coin in from one side of the arch, and it will land on the other side. "

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Moscow Trip Report: Day 4

"It is thus possible to throw a coin in from one side of the arch, and it will land on the other side. "

So did you go? did it land on the other side?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
543 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moscow Trip Report: Day 4

we didn't go yet - but we definitely will ! we have 4 more days...

jaipur
Level Contributor
231 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moscow Trip Report: Day 4

Hi, Was planning to visit Tsaritsyno, but after reading your trip report will skip that and go somewhere else.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,920 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moscow Trip Report: Day 4

Interesting historical note about Tsaritsyno...fun facts... see attached Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsaritsyno_Park

The main part of the deal is historically, by definition, IF it was at least somewhat "true" to history, it would indeed not be very "settled in" as Katherine the Great twice "rejected" it as one of her residences (keeping in mind back then St. Petersburg was the capital). She seemed to have a history of doing this as a Russian friend of mine showed me a similar palace more close in that suffered roughly the same fate.

I actually avoided going into the buildings somewhat for this reason, but overall, there park and surrounding area is nice. My alternative is Kolomenskoye, which is historically more significant, and has a really nice park and surrounding area...

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moscow Trip Report: Day 4

The Tsaritsyno palace was being built on the orders of Catherine the great. She showed up when it was almost complete, didn't like it and had it torn down. That was palace 1.0 Some stone remains are still visible

Palace 2.0 was under construction but then she died and didn't see it completed. and it was abandoned for the next 200 years. So the interiors are not historical because there were no historical interiors to begin with. I can almost guarantee the glass elevator was not part of the original spec.

6. Re: Moscow Trip Report: Day 4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 05:17