We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sapsan St. Petersburg - Moscow - Accommodation Tip

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sapsan St. Petersburg - Moscow - Accommodation Tip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2017, 03:30
Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sapsan St. Petersburg - Moscow - Accommodation Tip

This is exactly why we have the Top Questions...EXACTLY these issues are addressed in detail! But, thank you for confirming this, even if it ended up being a wee bit at the expense of your health.

2. Re: Sapsan St. Petersburg - Moscow - Accommodation Tip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2017, 03:30
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
470 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sapsan St. Petersburg - Moscow - Accommodation Tip

bilby8,

>I know that there are a lot of issues addressed in Top Questions, but if I wanted to read through all of them I >would not have the time to see much of Moscow. Personally when I scan Tripadvisor forums and Google >does not get me straight to where I want to find an answer while on the move I find it much easier to simply >start a new topic,

===================================

Try scanning Tripadvisor and Google before your trip, so you don't have to scan anything at all when you are on the move. Thus you can enjoy your trip much more. Years ago, I used to do like you, then I slowly understood what an incredible waste of time it is to solve problems during a trip that you could have solved beforehand.

Edited: 27 June 2014, 06:47
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
518 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sapsan St. Petersburg - Moscow - Accommodation Tip

> it could take around 3 hours

The distance to Red Square is 3.7 km which equals to a 15-minute drive if there's no traffic. With no luggage one can even walk this through. During peak hours the time may rise to one hour or so, maybe a little more. Three hours is an extreme that happens only during heavy snowstorms in winter or during traffic closures on public holidays. A handful of times, and this wasn't the case yesterday.

Top Question articles are useful as a mean of preparation for special occasions like "Navigating in Moscow Metro". There's nothing wrong with asking forum questions in advance as well.

>> we suspect the same would apply to leaving during this time

Airport is a different story. If possible consider Aeroexpress over taxi unless early in the morning or very late at night.

Edited: 27 June 2014, 10:21
Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sapsan St. Petersburg - Moscow - Accommodation Tip

Bilby8, my sincere apologies. I had no intent to slam you or others asking questions...that is indeed why we are here! My only point was that while yes, one can as you say maybe more efficiently scan and ask some quick questions, the other angle is one may not be aware of "what else to ask", or, worse, one happens to hit an outdated or incorrect post, or happen upon one that may be a bit biased for various reasons. For example, there is this one guy who always says use the Metro to get around, while others smarter have figured out correctly surface transport might be better! Oh, wait...that guy is me!

So, again, and not just to Bilby8, please do accept my apologies, but I would nonetheless still say, IF you have the time, at least take a peak at the Top Questions. No one is saying you have to read or master all, but we do take care to try to keep them truly top questions, and also up to date with excellent information provided by folks like you...

More than anything else thank you joining the club here...the more the merrier...

Edited: 27 June 2014, 12:39
Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sapsan St. Petersburg - Moscow - Accommodation Tip

We too are arriving in Moscow on Sapsan from St. P at 6pm on a weekday next week, family of 5 with luggage. I was all set to tackle the metro to the hotel and then discovered there was not a metro stop near the hotel (Courtyard City centre), so we will need a taxi (or two, yuck). This post was helpful, as I will now calm my frustration if the ride is longer than expected. I suppose longer the ride, higher the fare? As is everywhere. . .

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
518 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sapsan St. Petersburg - Moscow - Accommodation Tip

>> I was all set to tackle the metro

It all depends on your luggage and your courage ) In theory, one can take a ride on Metro, 4 stops direct to Okhotny Ryad and then walk ~15 min to the hotel. But this magnificent arrival on foot may cause frustration among the visitors of this not-so-cheap hotel. With taxi consider ordering a minivan in advance.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Sapsan St. Petersburg - Moscow - Accommodation Tip

Thanks avidclam! Dragging luggage through metro stations can be painful, I know, so just a toss up of taxi cost versus aggravation. I have tried to reserve a taxi through one of the websites I found on tripadvisor, but received no response, but maybe it's too early to reserve for July 10? And I got lucky with the hotel. . . Marriott reward program!

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sapsan St. Petersburg - Moscow - Accommodation Tip

Congrats...I have stayed many, many times there. It is really a very nice place. I too used Rewards points until they jacked up the points 50% over 2 year period. The folks there had become like family to me, so it is sad this summer I won't be able to stay there. Too bad they don't let local hotel "barter"...I could and would pay the first 25% increase (5K points more), but simply cannot afford 10K more points!

You correctly note it is not exactly right near a Metro stop...so I would tend to use taxi of some sort. Do read up some more on getting to hotels under Top Questions. One interesting, nice option is to take the Aero in (can avoid a lot of traffic), and the grab a taxi...and you can even "pre-book" the taxi right at the Aero Station...or, again, read up on this under Top Questions, you can maybe use a formal "transfer" company to bring you in from the airport. If you do RT, you can get cost down to pretty close to $80 or so both ways...not bad at all.

If you need any further tips on this hotel or surroundings, feel free to PM me...

Flowery Branch...
Level Contributor
21 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sapsan St. Petersburg - Moscow - Accommodation Tip

Courtyard City Center is a good hotel. I would suggest contacting the hotel and see if they can arrange transportation from the train statin to the hotel. The metro stations only have escalators and some are very long and move faster than elevators in the states. Also, depending on which station you go to, there maybe major roads that have underpasses. Most of these have steps which could be a major hassle with luggage.