We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moscow Trip Report: Day 8

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
543 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Moscow Trip Report: Day 8

Hi all - had to deal with actual travel back (Air France was actually great! ) So catching up on reports.

Day 8: Izmailovsky Market and some shopping

Started off by about 9:30 am to go to the Izmailovsky Market. Easy metro ride there (less crowded on a Sunday) and, as some reviewers have mentioned, the entry sign is almost right in front of you when you come up out of the Metro. [Look for the arch of blocks w the peacock on top]. You walk for just a bit past the arch, and it’s only 10 rubles to get in.

Since we went early, it wasn’t crowded at first, which was nice. Aware of the pickpocket issue, however, my hubby had on tighter pocket jeans with items only in front pockets, and kept his hands in his pockets. I had a smaller cross body bag that I had a caribiner clipping the only opening zipper to the rest of the bag & kept it in front of me and holding it the entire time. No issues. I can see how, as it gets more crowded, it would be prime for pickpockets. We also kept our eyes peeled, as it appeared a few times there were some, shall we say, “interested” people lurking about & trying to peer into people’s bags, wallets, etc.

Its all the usual souvenirs, but fun to look around & we had friends & family who wanted everything from nice to “cheesy” souvenirs. You can find every type of “Faberge” egg, matroirshka, tea towel, socks, mittens, hats, fur hats, soviet medals, coasters, lighters, shot glasses, coffee mugs, t shirts, jerseys, cameras, belts, woven shoes, pens, giant pencils, jewelry and more. As past reviewers have noted, we had a lot of success in bargaining when we a) started to walk away b) made a frowning face at the first mention of a price c) one of us played “disapproving spouse” and noted “that’s too much/ I’m not going to pay that much” (nicely.) Even when we were looking at wooden St. Basil’s music box, put it down, and then went to look at other wares at the same table, the vendor came down 75%. Bundling helps too – buy more things at their stall, they’re more wiling on the price. All but one of our vendors spoke English just fine, and the one that didn’t we did just fine w calculator & my small amount of English.

We brought a large canvas-shopping tote with us – but all the vendors had plastic bags as well. We bought everything from matroishkas to coasters to Putin coffee mugs to an awesome Cheburashka & Crocodile metal statue (win!). We didn’t need to spend too much time there (we’re efficient) but took time to look around, take some pics and on our way out (getting crowded by noon) we could smell all the yummy shashlik.

On the way to the metro you’ll see random folks on the sides of the sidewalk with their blanket or towel unfolded just selling their various items (more flea-market type items).

Back to hotel to drop off purchases, then a final run through Red Square area. Stopped in the GUM to get a few more Russian chocolate bars & some vodka. Then treated ourselves to the obligatory Russian ice cream cone (yum). Went over to the TSUM area and checked out some bookstores. The bookstores we all saw seem quite different from American book stores in that 90% of these were all educational children’s’ books or supplies with school supplies mixed in. Only a tiny bit of literature/ fiction. After making some coloring book purchases for our nephew, we stopped for a coffee and then took a nice walk. Rest of evening dealt with work.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Izmailovsky Market
Izmailovsky Market
744 Reviews
Moscow, Russia
Moscow Metro
Moscow Metro
13,180 Reviews
Moscow, Russia
Tsum
Tsum
190 Reviews
Moscow, Russia
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Moscow Trip Report: Day 8

Thank you for your detailed trip reports. I have not only enjoyed reading them but have also been gleaning info from them to use in my own trip planning. On most trips I have taken, I have started a trip diary only to never continue past the first day or two. Maybe I'll have to just follow your schedule minus the business dealings and I won't have to worry about keeping my own notes! :)

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
987 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moscow Trip Report: Day 8

I love reading your stories.

Reminds me and gets me planning again.

Glad you had a great experience.

Regards

DCtheKiwi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moscow Trip Report: Day 8

Thank you for your excellent trip reports, providing a lot of useful and interesting details for other travellers!

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moscow Trip Report: Day 8

We bought some lovely ceramic bowls at Izmailovsky market, but it never occurred to us to haggle, maybe we should have, but the price seemed reasonable.

I have enjoyed your reports and relived my trip last year. Did you have a chance to go to the new Tretyakov gallery? Quite a different, but very interesting experience from the old one.

Mentioned in this post
Izmailovsky Market
Izmailovsky Market
744 Reviews
Moscow, Russia
Warragul, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moscow Trip Report: Day 8

Thank you for your daily reports. Have enjoyed reading them and have gleaned a lot of information from them, ready for our trip in late August.

Sale
Level Contributor
83 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moscow Trip Report: Day 8

Some of the best trip reports I have read. I am off to Moscow, for my 2nd visit, in September and am already well into planning the trip, and your reports have been very useful.

So glad you enjoyed the trip and very grateful you took the time to post these reports.

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
134 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moscow Trip Report: Day 8

Thank you so much for your posts. I have just read them all and enjoyed every one. I am traveling from St. Petersburg to Moscow in early August with Grand Circle Travel and looking forward to seeing many of the places your profiled. Your enthusiasm and knowledge are overwhelming and inspiring. Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg
Northwestern District, Russia
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
8. Re: Moscow Trip Report: Day 8

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 07:15