We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Moscow and St. Petersburg in August

New Jersey
Level Contributor
118 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Moscow and St. Petersburg in August

My 86 yr old mom and I just decided to take a land trip to Russia instead of a river cruise.. We would like to start in Moscow go to Kitzi among other places and end in St Petersburg. We need help. I think that a private tour would be great. I was at thinking of just taking day tours in Moscow and then leaving there. Should I drive myself? Is it difficult to find places? I speak no Russian at all. Is it possible to hire a driver to take us? Any ideas of what we should see? We have travelled in many other countries and I usually drive us but I usually have some familiarity with the language. I am not sure that it is a good idea. I would welcome any help because I need time to apply for a visa. Thanks for all help.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,774 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Moscow and St. Petersburg in August

With a 86 yo I would strongly lean towards a cruise. You realize Kizhi is on an island? But you have to get first to the town of Petrozavodsk which is a 7 hr train ride away from SPB and will take at least as long by car.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
118 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Moscow and St. Petersburg in August

There is only one cruise still available at the time that we need to go so it may still be a possibility. I knew that Kizhi is on an island. It looks like its a days ride from Moscow or SPB as well. Anyway if I can't book the cruise could I do a trip from Moscow stopping at a few Golden Ring cities and then to Kizhi and then on to SPB? I have about 2 weeks.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,324 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Moscow and St. Petersburg in August

> There is only one cruise still available at the time that we need to go

This seems strange - are you sure you have googled up all the options? There are two huge local operators - Vodohod and Mosturflot, and most Western agents big and small which are gazillion simply resell the cruises operated by those two, sometimes even giving their own fancy names to same Russian boats.

It's not that you can't drive here, but it can easily become much more of an extreme adventure than you've bargained for. If you both like adventure and don't mind getting into and out of "situations" like huge traffic jams or complicated detours to name just a few then why not. You won't be the first nor last who decided to drive in Russia, just brace yourselves up for an expedition-like experience with next to infrastructure geared towards foreign tourists rather than a leisurely and easy drive.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 05:55
4. Re: Trip to Moscow and St. Petersburg in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 05:15