We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English material in Moscow museums

cyborg4
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Topic
English material in Moscow museums

Is there any material in English in Moscow's museums ? Are the plaques next to exhibits in Russian only ?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,458 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: English material in Moscow museums

There are more than 400 museums in Moscow. You'll have to be more specific to get a meaningful answer.

cyborg4
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: English material in Moscow museums

So some museums do have English plaques, and it's a matter of finding which ?

The metro system, for example, has no English signs whatsoever.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,458 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: English material in Moscow museums

> So some museums do have English plaques

Yes.

> and it's a matter of finding which?

If you only care about the English signage and don't care at all about what kind of a museum it is then I guess yes.

> The metro system, for example, has no English signs whatsoever.

Wrong.

High Spen, UK
Level Contributor
325 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: English material in Moscow museums

The metro system does have some English signs, on some of the lines but you will have learnt the Cyrillic alphabet so it won't matter.

As for museums. We went to the Cosmonaut Museum - some signage but it kind of ran out half way around and didn't explain any of the "bitty" bits. I can only describe them in that way as I have no idea what they were. Still enjoyed it though.

The Cathedrals in the Kremlin have English (and other language) explanation sheets but I didn't bother to read them, you can appreciate the buildings without and if you know a bit of bible then you will understand the paintings anyway.

The Impressionist bit of the Pushkin had dual titles on the paintings but explanations only in Cyrillic. It didn't matter for me because I have a degree in History of Art but my husband would have liked more information. Its an exceptionally well curated museum so go anyway.

The Victory Museum at Park Pobedy had a few English signs but not many. It didn't matter because it was a very Russian view of the war, which was interesting as quite different at times from the Eurocentric viewpoint but not (IMO!) always fully accurate. I did however come to appreciate how proud of their country Russians are and I don't mean any offence when I say that the presentation is a bit skewed - its their country after all.

Novodevichy - no English (I don't think) but it didn't matter its all self-explanatory.

We didn't do a massive amount of museums - more outside stuff. I expect you can get guidebooks in some places though.

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: English material in Moscow museums

That was not my experience of the Victory Museum, there were some English explanations but I was particularly pleased at the recognition given to the British part played ion the Atlantic convoys, something our own Government took 70 years to rectify.

Also the statues which include British and American servicemen, do we have a soviet soldier statue in the UK?

In the Armoury museum there is an English audio guide free of charge but you need to leave ID or cash deposit.

Edited: 18 July 2014, 21:47
Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: English material in Moscow museums

Not to be politically argumentative, but I think most folks in the West do not have a clue about the decisive role the USSR played In WW II. They can rightly argue that in fact they won it in that they had largely had crushed the Germans after finally defeating them in Russia - especially after the bloody battle at Stalingrad. They had already pushed Germany back into Poland by the time the Western front was "opened" on D-Day.

In sheer numbers, they not only killed 10X the number of soldiers the rest of the allies did, but suffered even more casualties. Equally important, the famous Eastern Front for the Germans had the vast preponderance of their forces and weapons, largely making it possible for D-Day be a success. The Germans had very few, and largely inexperienced fighters in the West at this time. Those more mature Hogan's Heroes fans here will recognize the constant jokes about the Eastern Front had a large basis in fact!

This just to point out as the other poster did that each country has their own history and view of things, and to me, the West, or at least US, is far more lacking in showing the other side of the story.

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: English material in Moscow museums

Also just noticed in our UK museum's we have no plaques or information poster in Russian

Indiana
Level Contributor
814 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: English material in Moscow museums

Cyborg4 - Of the approximately 20 venues (palaces + museums) we visited in Russia the past few weeks, only the Artillery Museum in SPB did not have some kind of English description. Granted, we primarily visited the major sites. Even St. Basil had an English audio tour. The challenge we found, was for those places around the cities that had only Cyrillic words, we were totally lost. Google has a great translation app you can download and use offline that allows photos of Russian words and translated them for you. Very cool.

Edited: 20 July 2014, 00:41
9. Re: English material in Moscow museums

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 05:16