We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prepaid phone in moscow and St.Petersburg.

Level Contributor
4 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Prepaid phone in moscow and St.Petersburg.

Hi,

As i will be in Moscow and St. Petersburg in the next time, i plan to get myself a prepaid SIM card in Moscow to be reachable without roaming, also i would prefer to have internet access to google something, use Google-translater with letter recognition and do some wikipedia research when walking around.

I saw (on Google Streetview) there is a MTC store near my accomodation, and looking at their webpage i kind of found something that would sound like what i am looking for. As i do not speak any russian, i kindly ask for help via this forum if someone could read this

mts.ru/mob_connect/tariffs/tariffs/smart_plus

for me, and tell me if this is what i think it is (from translating the google translated page ;-)

Mobile tarife models are even hard to understand in my country and my language ;-)

As far as i read, this costs 1000 rub per month, and i have 1000 min to mobiles (which i will for sure not need) and 3 GB of mobile data.

What seems to be the monster feature is, that i could use the same card for an extra 100 rub in St. Petersburg too, what is normaly roaming zone !?!?

mts.ru/mob_connect/…

I am not common with the normal procedure there and would like to have it hassle free, so i would definitely not make a contract, and only pay as you go (prepaid)

Thankfull for anyone who has experiences with this provider or Tarife (or can read an understand what is written there ;-)

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prepaid phone in moscow and St.Petersburg.

Jeez this is complicated. I think you are describing it correctly. Plans are generally prepaid so should be OK.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
518 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Prepaid phone in moscow and St.Petersburg.

>> if this is what i think it is

Looks like your description is correct. Note: 1000 minutes not only to mobiles but also to city landline numbers.

>> would definitely not make a contract

Legally it's a contract with a prepaid schedule. Once your balance is zero, the service is suspended. If you want to keep the number for your future visits after you're done this time, just switch to a plan with no monthly fee (and turn all the options off).

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prepaid phone in moscow and St.Petersburg.

Not to overcomplicate there is no commitment and once used up all the money in yr acct you can walk away and owe nothing.

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prepaid phone in moscow and St.Petersburg.

My wife has an MTS Sim card and my understanding is that she goes into the bank (or wherever you are able to go and put credit on it) as and when it runs out.

However, this is in Belarus so the process is probably the same because of the network you are using, but I cannot be 100% sure.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,035 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prepaid phone in moscow and St.Petersburg.

Gang, as stated by others here, it is WAY easier then going into a bank. One can use any of literally thousands of payment kiosks anywhere in Russia to replenish your mobile account with any of the major carriers there, now, admittedly there might be a language issue, but actually, most kiosks I have seen and used also have pretty good visual clues without English...like the main screen having logos for each of the main carriers.

Assuming you can initially master the language, pretty simple...pick carrier, enter cell phone number, insert rubles into slot, and hit button to confirm transaction.

If one is truly in need of having assistance. I also know one can likely also do this in any of their stores, which are also omnipresent as the big three mobile companies also have if not thousands of offices, then certainly hundreds, of course, most at heavily trafficked areas like shopping centers, busy pedestrian areas, etc.

Moscow
Level Contributor
843 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prepaid phone in moscow and St.Petersburg.

You could use either of the 'Smart' tariffs offered by MTC. 'Smart+' as you've discovered gives you 1,000 minutes. The basic 'Smart' tariff gives you 400 minutes for 400 rubles which may be more than adequate. As pointed out, this includes calls to all mobiles and fixed line phones within Moscow city and Moscow oblast. However, beware the costs if you call a phone out of that region. Tariffs to those calls are punishing (up to 14 rubles a minute, etc). You may also need to ask them to activate the SMS function (for some reason, this is not always an automatic option). Keep in mind you will need to show your passport when buying the sim card.

7. Re: Prepaid phone in moscow and St.Petersburg.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2015, 05:16