We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attire in Moscow

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Attire in Moscow

My wife, daughter and I are visting Moscow and St. Petersburg in Mid August. We are from Florida and wear shorts year round. Can you tell me if shorts are acceptable attire in both Moscow and St. Petersburg. I had read an article indicating that while in a Church the attire was long pants. Would this also apply to a visit of St. Basils Cathedral as a tourist.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,138 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attire in Moscow

While you may be able to get into some churches in shorts, I would not recommend it, not even as you state "as tourists". Further, quite a few churches further if not require, then strongly encourage women to wear if not skirts, then at least a "wrap" (sometimes these are available as one enters the church), and more frequently, a scarf or head covering.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
334 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attire in Moscow

//if shorts are acceptable attire in both Moscow and St. Petersburg

Just wandering the streets - yes

// I had read an article indicating that while in a Church the attire was long pants. Would this also apply to a visit of St. Basils Cathedral as a tourist.

Shorts strictly are not allowed in churches where liturgies are celebrated. But St. Basils Cathedral is now more a museum than a church, so you can try, but why? Have you been to Rome? Follow in Moscow the same rules - you can wander the streets but you are not very welcome in St. Peter's Basilica in shorts, true?

BTW, do you realize that Moscow and St. Petersburg aren't Florida? This is the weather that can put a barrier to your shorts, not the church rules :-). Now it's hot, true, about +30 С in Moscow, but only God knows what will be in August, June was rather cold. So keep your jeans, as you say "long pants", in your suitcase.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attire in Moscow

Thanks for your honest thoughts! Appreciatr it!

4. Re: Attire in Moscow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 22:05
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attire in Moscow

Thank you for responding. Your comments are very valuable.

Steve

London, United...
Level Contributor
450 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attire in Moscow

Hi steve r

I was in moscow and st petersburg in june and i left my shorts in the uk,i had read that only tourists walk around in shorts......it was +33 and and my russian girlfreind couldn`t stop laughing,as we drove down tverskaya street.....she pointed out the shorts to me.......bring shorts....and long trousers for the church

regards mungled

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Attire in Moscow

Great.........That is what I wanted to hear. Appreciate it!

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,138 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Attire in Moscow

Better, watch weather...while there is a heat wave now, back in June, they had 15 C temps...not quite shorts weather.

Shelton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
41 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Attire in Moscow

no problem entering St. Basil's in shorts, both men and women (info of 2 weeks ago). Head scarf is not required there either. Packed with hoards of tourists dressed every which way. Same for Kremlin. However, for real churches and monasteries, not strictly museums, you must have long pants, and your ladies need to have skirts below the knees, covered shoulders and head scarfs. Some churches have scarfs and wraps for visiting ladies at their front doors. However, I would suggest for women to pack two scarfs - one small for head and one bigger to wrap around the waist, just so the knees are covered. Take nearly weightless silk or polyester and stash in your purse or backpack. From my observation, men in shorts are not asked to leave a church as much as women without head scarf, so you can wing it instead of baking in long pants all day at 30 degree heat.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Attire in Moscow

Touristy churches like st basil don't care but if you go to let's say Sergiev Posad which is the epicenter of the Russian church better observe the dress code.