We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kolomenskoe Vs Cosmonaut Museum at VDNH

jaipur
Level Contributor
225 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Kolomenskoe Vs Cosmonaut Museum at VDNH

Hi, Unable to decide between Kolomenskoe and Cosmonaut museum at VDNH. Have time only for one. Any advice will be appreciated Thank you Kumar

Moscow, Russia
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kolomenskoe Vs Cosmonaut Museum at VDNH

Hi Kumar,

well it depends on your preferences. What do you like more - parks or museums?

as for me, I would choose Cosmonaut museum at VDNH. There is also All-Russia Exhibition Center at VDNH, rather interesting place to visit.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
180 posts
586 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kolomenskoe Vs Cosmonaut Museum at VDNH

I was there recently and have to say enjoyed the park more. As someone who has loosely followed man's forays into space since the 60s, nothing at the Space Museum was really a surprise. Yes it was interesting seeing some real life artefacts, but I wouldn't really go again. The other issue was hardly anything was in English and I don't believe there was an English language audio available.

Edited: 14 August 2014, 13:18
Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kolomenskoe Vs Cosmonaut Museum at VDNH

I would vote too for park...but, I am an "old(er) fogey who< the older I get, the more I appreciate even older history, and Kolomenskoye has history, albeit much in the form of archeological digs!- dating back to the time of Peter the Great (end of 17th Century)...

Really does come down to preference...these are wildly different places, and while yes "history", seems more like "do you want to go art museum or space museum"...

Moscow, Russia
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kolomenskoe Vs Cosmonaut Museum at VDNH

oh I've just remembered one pro for Kolomenskoe. Honey fair is held in Kolomeskoe in August-October

London, United...
Level Contributor
407 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kolomenskoe Vs Cosmonaut Museum at VDNH

these are two completely different things, if you are interested in space - then obviously museum which is really great. Kolomenskoe is an estate included on UNESCO world heritage list, but this will be again "church - oriented" sightseeing. you need to decide yourself what is more appealing to you

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kolomenskoe Vs Cosmonaut Museum at VDNH

Re: "these are 2 entirely different things...suggest reading the thread...this was pointed out immediately and expanded upon by most.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,398 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kolomenskoe Vs Cosmonaut Museum at VDNH

> suggest reading the thread

Why? When the sole reason for posting is flashing their logo once again for self-promotion.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kolomenskoe Vs Cosmonaut Museum at VDNH

If you pick Kolomenskoe make sure to visit both their "main campus" with the church, and the second location where they put the reconstructed wooden palace, some 1 km from the main one

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kolomenskoe Vs Cosmonaut Museum at VDNH

Good point...and it is near the church (a bit before you get to it) that one will also get to see , if you are interested, a bunch of the archeological digs that are ongoing...some folks are into this, some not so much!

There are also some very nice views back into Moscow from there...not too close mind you...

jaipur
Level Contributor
225 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kolomenskoe Vs Cosmonaut Museum at VDNH

Thank you for the inputs. I think Kolomenskoe gets the vote