We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arkhangelsk - short trip first week of February

Cork
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Arkhangelsk - short trip first week of February

Hi there,

I've heard about Arkhangelsk via its famed Soviet Jazz reputation (Vladimir Reizitsky et al) and also i heard it refferred to as being one of the most friendliest places in Russia - which may or may not be accurate.

But is it a bit crazy to visit there in February taking into account weather conditions?

Rossiya Airlines have very cheap flights in February (65 euro return from St Pete).

Arkhabgelsk is more expensive than St Pete/Moscow due to it being so far north?

Mentioned in this post
Russia
Russia
Europe
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arkhangelsk - short trip first week of February

Not too much info about jazz, but Arkhangelsk, being not-so-central will surely be cheaper, than Moscow or St.Pete. There actually not so much places in Russia more expensive than Moscow. Arkhangelsk is not really "so North", having roads and rail links to the rest of the world. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Russia
Russia
Europe
Cork
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Arkhangelsk - short trip first week of February

Thanks for the feedback! I was tempted mainly by the flight being so cheap and the journey being only 1 and a half hours.

But the reality of the harsh winter might make things a nightmare - not to mention my loose grip on Russian!

Although i always like a challenge :)

Cork
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Arkhangelsk - short trip first week of February

Artcile on visiting Arkhangelsk in winter for those who may be interested!:

readrussia.com/magazine/winter-2008/00050/

Russia
Level Contributor
17 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arkhangelsk - short trip first week of February

Hi, how and when will the jazz concerts in February, I could write about in mid-January, after the holidays.

jazzdays.ru/index.php…

5. Re: Arkhangelsk - short trip first week of February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2011, 06:24
Get answers to your questions about Arkhangelsk
More Arkhangelsk Topics