We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do we go about getting from Poland to Kaliningrad?

Oroville, California
Level Contributor
708 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
How do we go about getting from Poland to Kaliningrad?

Hi, I might be visiting Gdansk this summer, and I heard they have ferries to Kaliningrad. My grandma went long ago, only for 2 hours, but IDK how this is possible. It's about 80 miles, so it would take at least half a day just to get there, so there's no way that's a day trip. Also, IDK when she went, but she said there were soldiers everywhere, and tourists were only allowed to walk on one street. Is that still the case? I heard the entire area is open now. Ferry sounds exciting, but I know it's gonna take a long time, and I don't want to spend the night. And I heard if you don't know anyone there, getting around can be really difficult, so I was wondering if there are any companies that just do day trips? I found a 6 day one, with Baltics and Beyond, that covers the entire region, plus Lithuania, but it doesn't list the prices, and it includes a flight to Gdansk, which we will not need. What about from Elblag or Frombork? It's halfway closer, so ferry services are probably faster. Also, we're American, so how do we go about geting VISAS? If it's too complicated then I'll just try to go to Lithuania.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
48 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do we go about getting from Poland to Kaliningrad?

Kalningrad is part of Russia, so as an American you would need a Russian visa to visit, so it may be more trouble than you want for a day trip.

You are not limited to just one street.

Oroville, California
Level Contributor
708 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do we go about getting from Poland to Kaliningrad?

State Department website says, No VISA is required for ferry passangers staying less then 72 hours. Not including river cruises. But I need some clarification of this. It was a bit confusing, if I go in by ferry can I travel around the whole region without a VISA.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How do we go about getting from Poland to Kaliningrad?

It's not quite that simple, there is the condition that you must be accompanied by an officially registered tour guide at all times and I'm pretty sure that the visa free rule for ferry passengers only applies to St Petersburg.

Edited: 22 October 2012, 18:40
Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How do we go about getting from Poland to Kaliningrad?

Just checked and the visa free rule applies to Kaliningrad too.

Kaliningrad
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do we go about getting from Poland to Kaliningrad?

An advice for all of you. Check with your local russian embassy before you leave. Rules change very fast in Russia and one day it is ok, next day it is not.

To avoid all the hastle, why not get a tourist visa in advance? Then you can stay over night, actually see someting of the city and you dont have to worry at the border where you very well might not be allowed to entry because of changed rules.

6. Re: How do we go about getting from Poland to Kaliningrad?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2013, 09:15
Get answers to your questions about Kaliningrad