We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day trip to Novgorod

Which Veliky Novgorod hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Menlo Park...
1 post
Save Topic
One day trip to Novgorod

My wife and I with 2 teenagers (2 girls 13 and 15) are coming to St.

Petersburg in May. We are going to book several tours with Best Guides Group. By the way, who ever heard about them? May be someone on this forum already used their service? I found them through Google and their website looks more than attractive. Among many other tours they advertise one day trip to Novgorod. They described Novgorod as a very outstanding place, almost "must see". The trip takes 10-12 hours and is rather expensive. I haven't seen any other companies who advertise such a trip. Does it really worth to see? We are going to spend in St. Petersburg 5 days and after it we are planning to visit Moscow for 2 days. Thanks for the suggestions.

13 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One day trip to Novgorod

Hello sir,

If you are interested in Russian history, Novgorod is a must-see place. Much before St. Petersburg and Moscow, this was the principal kingdom of the ancient Rus, and offers great sights like Cathedral of St. Sophia.

Although I have not visited, I am also planning a trip to European Russia, and will be visiting Novgorod. Also, since Novgorod lies in between Moscow and St. Pete, you may choose to leave St. Pete in early morning, spend the day here, and leave for Moscow by the 9:20 pm train (please confirm).

Hope this helps. Regards,

Rohan

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: One day trip to Novgorod

For a family traveling with teenagers Novgorod trip is a nice choice - it is mainly outdoor. Children of any age usually like the open-air wooden architecture museum Vitoslavlitsy. While in St.Pete you will be almost overwhelmed with palaces and gold and imperial grandiose. Novgorod is exactly opposite - small, intimate, more "natural", easier.

It is an expensive day trip mainly because of the distance and time but it is worth it.

Unfortunately there are no regular trains to connect St.Petersburg and Novgorod - only commuter trains and buses. Both options are not comfortable especially if you travel with the luggage.

That's why due to the transport situation it is easier to book a day trip from St.Petersburg rather than stop in Novgorod overnight on the way to Moscow

Have a pleasant journey!

St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
151 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day trip to Novgorod

Novgorod is a great choice! Really great! It will show you Russia from another side. St. Petersburg and Moscow are two capitals; Novgorod is a province, but the most charming province which you can imagine. The town has a few extremely beautiful cathedrals and churches. It’s not too touristic and it also gives special charm to the place. Be aware that drive to Novgorod will take not less than 2.5 hours each way.

Best Guides Group is quite a new company which joined several professional guides who used to work for other agencies. The company first of all is engaged in organizing private tours for individuals and small groups as well as show excursions for cruise passengers - also mainly individual tours. They suggest several tours which majority of the companies doesn’t organize – Ballet St. Petersburg, Dostoevsky in St. Petersburg and Novgorod.

Have a great trip!

Edited: 06 March 2011, 16:26
Sussex
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One day trip to Novgorod

I went to Novgorod for a couple of nights in oct 2010, its very easy to reach via a coach in st petersburg. Cost is cheap, i dont remember exactly but about $10 each way.

The Novgorod people are very friendly, its probably a nice place during the summer months.

If i had my trip again, i wouldnt visit Novgorod. There isnt alot to do there, there is so much to see and do in St Petersburg i would stay there instead.

Anyone else notice the creeky floor boards in every building in Novgorod? I renamed the place Cr-eeky Novgorod.

Volkhoz Hotel is ideally located but the rooms are awful. All part of the experience if you go though.

Have Fun!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: One day trip to Novgorod

I've also been considering this, looks like a fantastic place.

Budapest
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: One day trip to Novgorod

It really is worth visiting, if you have enough time...you can plan the trip the way you first see Moscow or St.Pete, and then take a train to Novgorod - also great opportunity to enjoy the country side while on the train...Some travel agencies offer this kind of program, combining visits to different cities in Russia, giving you the opportunity to see the most interesting sights in Russia...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day trip to Novgorod

Hello Sasha23,

We are going to Russia this summer, and are also considering going to Novgorod for a day trip. We will be leaving from St Petersburg, taking the bus there, then the night train to Moscow. We would like to hear your experience. Did you go to Novgorod? How was it? How did your girls like it? We have a 10 year old son, so would like to know if Novgorod is interesting to kids..

Thank you for your reply!

Fontana, California
Level Contributor
31 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day trip to Novgorod

I am considering using Davranov Travel in May for a one day trip to Novgorod as I am traveling solo. Does anyone have any more info on them?

They are favorably mentioned in a previous post.. http://www.davranovtravel.ru/en/

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: One day trip to Novgorod

Can any one tell me where to join the one day trip to Novgorod and how much ? Thanks

Walt Disney World...
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day trip to Novgorod

I plan to do the opposite, go to Novgorod from Moscow and then to St Pete. How bad is that idea? Or rather take the train from Moscow to St Pete and take a day tour to Novgorod in another day?

Reply to: One day trip to Novgorod
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted