We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains to Novgorod (Again, yet different)

Which Veliky Novgorod hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
10 posts
Save Topic
Trains to Novgorod (Again, yet different)

Hi!

Well, pretty much all information I was looking about going to Novgorod I found on the others topics under Novgorod forum.

I've found that:

* All trains going to Novgorod are commuter trains;

* Not easy to carry you luggage on those trains;

* There are like two daily trains from Saint Petersburg to Novgorod.

Even though it shouldnt be easy to carry my luggage, I think I'm gonna try to carry it to Novgorod because I want to spend at least one full day over there.

I understand that the timetables can change over the months (I'm going there in August), but I would like to check at least current timetables for those trains.

I already checked Russian Railways site, AllRussianTrains and others. None showed a train (even a commuter) from Saint Petersburg to Novgorod in August. I also did the search using next week as travel day but still no result is displayed anywhere.

So, could anyone point a way for me to check current commuter timetables and prices? I know it might be different in August but I need to plan where I'm going, what I'm doing and how much I'm spending. So, every detail will help.

Also, advice from people that actually carried its luggage on commuter would be great.

Thanks in advance.

6 replies to this topic
Moscow
Level Contributor
259 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains to Novgorod (Again, yet different)

Hope you know there is two Novgorods in Russia - Novgorod Veliky and Novgorod Nizhny. For Veliky look here:

translate.google.com/translate…

There is also commuter bus:

translate.google.com/translate…

Edited: 19 April 2011, 21:38
Sussex
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains to Novgorod (Again, yet different)

Have you considerfed catching a coach?

I went from St Petersburg to Veliky Novgorord this way and had large luggage with me. It was cheap (about $10) and was pretty quick, just over 3 hours.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains to Novgorod (Again, yet different)

Hi! Thank you for replies.

Those were all very good information. I'll look into the coach either because it's probably the cheaper option.

@Kulverstukas - I found out earlier today that there were more then one Novgorod in Russia. But you got it right, the one I want to go to is Veliky Novgorod. I have one question: why in that first site you linked there are four Novgorod on the option box ("Novgorod Dela", "Novgorod Luj", "Novgorod Pass" and "Novgorod Post")?

Thanks.

Moscow
Level Contributor
259 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains to Novgorod (Again, yet different)

It's stations (shortened). Look: http://maps.yandex.ru/-/CBQiYCnj

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,847 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains to Novgorod (Again, yet different)

> why in that first site you linked there are four Novgorod on the option box ("Novgorod Dela", "Novgorod Luj", "Novgorod Pass" and "Novgorod Post")?

You need "Novgorod Pass[enger]".

If you use www.rzd.ru (the Russian Railroads official web site), the station name is "Новгород-на-Волхове".

Dresden, Germany
Level Contributor
162 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains to Novgorod (Again, yet different)

Current train timetable (including commuter trains) is at

http://rasp.yandex.ru/

Type "Санкт-Петербург" and "Великий Новгород" in the search bar

There is one fast train: 17.15-20.27 (return: 8.29-11.41) and one slow train: 7.50-11.56 (return: 17.00-20.30. Strangely enough, it terminates at some suburban station instead of going to the city center) from Moscow station (Moskovsky vokzal). Another slow train starts from Vitebsky station: 7.57-13.01 (return: 17.10-21.49). You can also catch a train to Novolisino and change for Novgorod there (2-3 connections only). The timings are unlikely to change, but you should check again in June when the summer schedule is in operation.

Buses are more frequent and nearly as fast. Unless you are interested in the train travel, it is better to take a bus.

Reply to: Trains to Novgorod (Again, yet different)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted