We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proper attire for ballet

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Proper attire for ballet

We'll be going to the Mariinsky ballet on June 25. What should we wear?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
336 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proper attire for ballet

Summer evening costume and summer evening dress.

Russians dress up somewhat for opera and ballet. It is my opinion too, of respect to performers and to the moment of entertainment.

But if you do not wear sport shoes or very casual clothing, like shorts and sandals or very worn jeans with t-shirt etc etc everything will be fine. The dress code is quite relaxed, since the audience always is mixed (may I say...so many tourists...).

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proper attire for ballet

Went to the ballet recently at the Conservatoire and probably 75% of the audience were us tourists.

The dress went from suits, ties etc for men down to casual. In fact I noticed one guy wearing jeans and trainers

If you went smart casual, I dont think you would look out of place at all

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proper attire for ballet

Your visit to the Mariinsky will be during the Stars of the White Nights festival so these special performances are attended primarily by fans instead of tourist. In this case the dress tends to be more stylish but casual, not many evening gowns like in the past, nor black-tie as was the norm just a few years ago. Arriving at this theater in casual street wear will not get you thown out but it would lessen the experience if you did, for those around you and for yourself. One note, it is impossible to overdress in St Petersburg or anywhere in Russia for that matter.

A summer weight dark suit or slacks/sport jacket would be fine for men and a stylish pant/top set or dress with heels would be appropriate without resorting to formal, afterall it is vacation.

The other theaters tend to be more casual than the Mariinsky, especially those theaters which cater to tourists during the summer month such as the Hermitage Little Theater and the Conservatory Theater that are usually booked for the summer by groups staging shows specifically for tourists from cruise ships.

Boston
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Proper attire for ballet

Thanks for the great information, stanj! I know just what to wear now. My husband, it turns out, had already decided on the correct attire.

Your last paragraph gave me a chuckle. We'll be on a Princess cruise, and I wondered why the ship was taking people to the Conservatoire.

We had to book a private tour in order to go to the Mariinsky, where they're performing several modern ballets rather than a classical one. It should be interesting!

5. Re: Proper attire for ballet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 02:19