We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hats as gifts

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Idalia, co.
Level Contributor
18 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Hats as gifts

I get many baseball style hats from different companies . I was wondering if giveing a few to guides and new friends in St. pet. was something they would enjoy. The area I live in does not have much in the way of gifts to take.

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hats as gifts

Anything that represents your area, photo-postcards, if you have a local chocolate maker, or if young people the hats or t-shirts with logos or names from your region, and such make nice gifts. I always found packets of local interest post cards were well received. If you know the people more, more personal items would be in order. Even a copy of a home town news paper is of interest to those who would like to know more about from where you came.

Before it was so common for Russians to travel to foreign beaches, I used to bring small vials of Pacific Ocean water and some beach sand with a nice personalized label addressed to them and telling how it was taken from in front of my house in California. The Pacific seemed so exotic to many Russians a few years ago. But nowadays such gestures would get you pulled off a plane as a probable terrorist.

Unless it is particularly stylish, of known size and known to go with her other outfits I would avoid giving any article of clothing, including caps, to a Russian woman.

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hats as gifts

Anything personal is highly appreciated. Anything which represents your country or town or family. Anything that you like and can tell couple of words about. Baseball caps, t-shirts, magnets, post cards, sea shells, local newspaper….be sure – your new friends will like it.

Enjoy your trip!

Idalia, co.
Level Contributor
18 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hats as gifts

Thank you,

I live in a farming area with no real attractions, very small [ 80 people ] village near bye. The farmers raise wheat, corn and cattle so there really is not any souvenirs to be found.

4. Re: Hats as gifts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 17:18