We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

disabled tours in St Petersburg

london
Level Contributor
31 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
disabled tours in St Petersburg

We are travelling to St Petersburg on a cruise in August next year, so I am trying to plan ahead. I am travelling with my elderley father who can walk small distances but generally is in a wheelchair / or scooter for holidays. Is St petersburg wheelchair friendly and what sites if any would be reasonably accessible. He is 80 and still thinks he can do it all. Obviously we realise he cant but want to be able to take him to see some of it. Would you suggest we book a tour from a local company?

Also what is the weather like in August.

Any help and advice would be most gratefully appreciated

Thanks in advance.

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: disabled tours in St Petersburg

Sites which are accessible for the wheelchairs or scooters – Savoir-on-the-Spilled Blood Church, Peter-and-Paul fortress (if cable stones are not a problem), the State Hermitage museum, The State Russian museum, Park of Peterhof.

I can highly recommend you to book a private tour to make sure you have a certain coach, person to help and the tour is organized according to your abilities.

I see many people on the wheelchairs travelling to St.Pete. So I am sure your father will see and enjoy the most of St.Pete.

The weather is unpredictable. Right now it is about 86,00 Fahrenheit very warm (I better say hot) and sunny. But this is unusual warm. I would expect something around 70,00 Fahrenheit, a bit windy and cloudy and partly sunny.

Enjoy your trip!

london
Level Contributor
31 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: disabled tours in St Petersburg

Thankyou so much for such a quick response. I have a couple of tour operators in mind. I will put together some ideas from your suggestions and start emailing.

thanks again

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: disabled tours in St Petersburg

It is not too early to start thinking details because there are a limited number of lift-gate vans, less than a dozen for the entire city of 5,000,000.

Wheel chair access is not the same as in England, and most restrooms, cloak rooms and cafes/restaurants are decidedly unfriendly to such mobility limitation. There have been improvements but the city still lags far behind Europe and the US. There are wheel chair lift in some of the museums and elevators in some others. A scooter is more versatile and can fit into a standard van or lifted up some short stairs that would increase the number of interior visits that would be accessible.

Yes, a tour company that is used to mobility impaired visitor and itineraries would be the logic choice. The three companies which offer most of the ship tours under contract have plenty of experience in wheel chair tours, both for the ships and independent tours; Arctur, DenRus and Baltic Travel.

london
Level Contributor
31 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: disabled tours in St Petersburg

Thank you Stani, I will get on with it then. Without delay

X Thanks

5. Re: disabled tours in St Petersburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 09:34