We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day shore excursion

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kingston Ontario
Level Contributor
48 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
1 day shore excursion

We are in St Petersburg for 1 day with Princess on Saturday July 24 2008 from 7 am to 9 pm. I would love to see the fountains at Peterhof, Catherine Palace, the cottage of Nicholas 1, and anything else I can cram in.....maybe lunch at one of the pie shops??? What about Yusupov palace??

This will be my only time to St Petersburg, so I need a couple of trinkets too! Could you please help me figure out what I can possibly see in the time I have??? I am willing to go back to the boat exhausted!!

Thanks

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day shore excursion

If you have a private tour your itinerary may look the following:

7am meet with your guide and driver at the pier

7.00-8.00 drive to Catherine’s palace

8.15-9.45 tour of Catherine’s palace and park (be ready to pay extra for the early entrance)

10.00-10.30 drive to Alexandria

10.45-12.00 tour of the private cottage of Nicolas the first

12.00-12.15 drive to Peterhof

12.15-13.15 walk along the Lower park of Peterhof

13.30-14.00 hydrofoil trip back to the city

14.15-15.30 lunch time in the city and may be quick look at the Savior-on-the-Spilled Blood Church

15.30-16.00 drive to Yusupov palace

16.00-17.30 tour of Yusupov palace

17.30-19.00 city drive, may be visit of St.Isaak’s cathedral or Peter-and-Paul fortress or walk along Nevsky avenue or shopping or take a boat tour

20.00 back to the port

You are going to be SO tired!!! It is possible only if you are very well traveled and really want to see this much. You will be rushed in every place you visit. You won’t have time to stop, relax, take a look around…You simply run from one place to another. But it is possible.

Enjoy your trip!

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,688 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day shore excursion

I am a little confused; Crown visits on its 10 day cruise for 2 days in St Petersburg arriving at 06:30 on July 23th and leaves on the 24th at 18:00. Did they change the itinerary from their scheduled port calls? The port authority does not know about that if they did. That throws all the remaining port calls off unless they sit at anchor in the Baltic for a day.

I've never heard of Princess having 1 day port calls in st Petersburg, if this is true, you might find it an empty ship since most Princess passengers book primarily to visit St Petersburg.

You should get a confirmation of this single day port call and the hours.

Kingston Ontario
Level Contributor
48 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day shore excursion

There is a new cruise out of Stockholm to Rome ( or reverse) that only visits St Petersburg for 1 day . It is on the Royal and goes 6 times next year.....

Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day shore excursion

Hi kleffy. We are sailing on the Royal Princess as well, only we are doing the transatlantic. We too will only be in St. Petersburg for 1 day. I suggest you do some research and decide what you REALLY want to see. Better to see and enjoy a few places instead of rushing from place to place and not really seeing anything.

The tour we have lined up includes: a city orientation drive, photo stop at Smolny Cathedral, inside visit of Alexander Nevsky Lavra and the cemeteries, drive out to Peterhof with a short visit to Peter & Paul Cathedral in Peterhof (not to be confused with the Cathedral in St. Petersburg), an inside visit of either Monplaisir or the Bath House and the Fountain Parks, a quick lunch and return to St. Petersburg, inside visits of Church on Spilled Blood and St. Isaac's Cathedral and a little time for shopping before returning to the ship.

It will be a LONG day, but it will be the only time (that I know) I will see St. Petersburg.

Hope you enjoy your cruise. I am really looking forward to ours.

St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day shore excursion

Dear Kleffy,

I am getting into a competition how to make you really exhausted... My principle is never follow desires of your clients in full... So, how can you be exhausted without visiting the Hermitage? Arrival at 7 does not guarantee you an immediate disembarkation - border guards should first rub their eyes - so leaving 30 min for their arrival, signing papers etc - the day can start really at 7.30 - short ride of the city sights - the most scenic ensembles and panoramas (through the empty city - morning of the weekend)

9.30 - tour of canals (private boat - only for you)

10.30 - the Hermitage museum (items after your request - any million of the three available)

12.30 - a hydrofoil to Peterhof (directly from the exit of the Hermitage)

13.00 - fountains of peterhof

14.00 - lunch at the gallery of the great palace of Peterhof

14.45 - leaving for Pushkin

15.45 - Catherine's palace

17.00 - Catherine's park

18.00 - leaving for St.Petersburg (either - to the ship by 19.00 - or probably for dinner at the restaurant of the Mariinsky theatre, for example)

I have omitted the Cottage palace (where I love to bring my guests - sometimes against there original will) and Yusupov palace - but I think these nice places are from the second row...

6. Re: 1 day shore excursion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 16:16