We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Dinner with the Peasants" offered in Russia?

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
196 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
"Dinner with the Peasants" offered in Russia?

I am looking for a unique dinner experience for my large group in Russia. When I took a tour group to Romania, the tour operator offered a "dinner with the peasants". We drove to a farm in a rural community and sat down to a nice private dinner prepared by a peasant family. Does anyone know if this is offered to tour groups in Russia? This was an incredible experience in Russia and allowed us to see Russian life up close and personal. My group will be in the Moscow, Novgorod, and St. Petersburg areas of Russia in November.

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Dinner with the Peasants" offered in Russia?

I am sure any tour company can arrange for a rural farm visit. I doubt many takers would be found among host families if they were called "peasants", however.

A large group might need a upper middle class or higher land owner as host to serve a large group, most small farms do not have a large enough main house to fit many more than a few diners. Large "cottages" are available for daily rent but they are usually expensive and too modern for your intended purpose. Many farms have been taken over by corporate farm operators, just like in the US.

There is a more likely source for rural experience; the dacha which is a small to large rural cabin owned by many if not most Russian city dwellers. Many pensioners would love to have paying guests for a meal. November last year was warm enough so some dachas were still in use but typically, the occupants pack up and head back to town well before the first snow falls. The roads are almost useless mud lanes after that, until frozen solid later in the winter.

2. Re: "Dinner with the Peasants" offered in Russia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 07:17