We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best area to rent an appartment?

Ontario
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What is the best area to rent an appartment?

I am planning a trip to SP next summer (hopefully June or July), and plan on renting a short-term appartment. I am trying to figure out which would be the best area/neighbourhood in which to rent as far as convenience to the varioius sites, and access to transit (to/from airport, within STP, to/from Pushkin, other palaces, etc.)

I am assuming that somewhere near the Gostinyy Dvor or Nevsky Prospekt subway stops would be the best, but can't seem to find appartments to rent in that area. There are a few that appear very nice on the Moika Embankmant, but I am concerned that they would be too far, and inconvenient. We will probably take transit to and from the airport, and don't want to be walking long distances with luggage.

Thanks for any help.

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best area to rent an appartment?

You are absolutely right – anything around Gostinyj Dvor/Nevsky prospect subway stops is good. The following streets can help you:

Nevsky prospect, Bolshaja Morskaya, Malaya Morskaya, Malaya (small) and Bolshaya (big) Konushennaya, Moika Embankment not further than houses ## 91 or 70.

All these streets are no more than 10-15 min walk from the subway stop.

If you are not sure about the certain address – post it here so we can check is good or not.

What kind of transit you are going to take to and from the airport?

Have a pleasant trip!

Level Contributor
93 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best area to rent an appartment?

I have rented several times in St Petersburg and my feeling is that while some locations are better than others, they are all pretty good as it is so easy to get to a metro or bus line. However anything on or near Nevsky prospect or Sennaya Ploschad is where you want to be if you plan to be out "after hours" (ie, after the buses and metros stop running)...and you will! Because the city never sleeps.. I have stayed on Moskovsky prospect near Park Pobedy - but you are somewhat stranded after 1am if you are downtown unless you want to pay for a taxi. I have stayed on Rubenshtein near the Fontanka a few times and I do like that area a lot. It is close to shopping, buses and the metro is about 10 minute walk. Plus, if you are out too late, its all walkable. Interesting thing to keep in mind when looking at the "center" once you go north of the Moika and closer to Palace Square, you have a longer walk to the metro. The closest will be Gostinniy dvor to the south.

As far as accessibility to the suburbs - anywhere is good if you are accessible to a metro. For example - I was midway between Gostinniy dvor and Vostannaya ploschad - 10 min walk to the metro, 15 min on metro to Mosckovkaya station, take a mini bus fom there and its 25 minutes to Pushkin.

Ontario
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best area to rent an appartment?

Two places I'm considering that look nice, but may not be all that conveniently located are: Pushkinskaya 7 and Moika 16.

As far as transit to/from the airport, we were thinking of taking the bus from the airport to the nearst subway stop and use the subway to the nearest stop near our lodgings. After reading a bit more about the transit system, and how busy it can get, maybe it makes more sense to find a cab so we won't have to deal with two weeks' worth of luggage on the bus/subway.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Level Contributor
93 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best area to rent an appartment?

I know there is a Pushkinskaya that runs parallel to Ligovsky prospect right off Nevsky- if that is it, No 7 would be very close to Vostannaya Ploschad, Moskow train station and the metro junction. Moika Naberezhnaya 16 - I think - is very close to the Hermitage (very beautiful area!) - but a little more of a hike to a metro. I would be hard pressed to decide which - personally, I would go for being close to Vostannaya Ploschad. I tend to like that area for some reason.

Last time I took a cab from the airport all the way to the center was about 2 years ago and it cost me around 26 USD. If you are carrying large bags- I think it would be worth it, even at double that, not to have to lug your baggage on mass transit.

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best area to rent an appartment?

Both those areas have advantages. Both are close to Nevsky pr and the Pushkinskaya address is very close to metro stations on the Red, Green and Orange lines in case you wish to visit other regions of the city. There are lots of cafes, shops and sights in both neighborhoods but Pushkinskaya is about 1 mile from the Hermitage. Buses are low cost and run every few seconds however.

If you have any more than a backpack, get a taxi, but not from the street, for your airport trip. Call any of the dispatch taxis about 20 minutes or more before you want to depart your and save a lot. I used one (telephone 7-000-000 ) when I recently went the USA for a visit and it was 510 Rubles, about 1/3 to 1/4 what the airport taxis want., plus it was a cleaner and newer car.

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the best area to rent an appartment?

Both places are very good. Pushkinskaya is nice street with cafes, restaurants and bars, with famous center of modern ‘non-official’ art - http://www.p10.nonmuseum.ru/index_e.html . The only concern which I have is about safety – Pushkinskaya is parallel to Ligovsky prospect which can be full of quite unpleasant and unsafe people especially at night. The railway station is right next door so… I personally would prefer Moika embankment. It is more touristy area, but beautiful, safe and very close to all attractions.

Have a pleasant trip!

7. Re: What is the best area to rent an appartment?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 01:16