We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter and one day

yptraveler
1 post
Save Topic
Winter and one day

I'm going to be in St. Petersburg next week on business. I'll have one day to see some of the city. What would you recommend?

Mentioned in this post
St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg
Northwestern District, Russia
St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter and one day

Walk around Nevsky prospect and visit the Savior-on-the-Spilled Blood church (closed on wednesday)- very impressive.

If you like the palaces - visit the Hermitage - at least the gala rooms. and take couple of good pictures at the palace square.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,773 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter and one day

I agree with Eugenia about where to focus your time. The area around Palace Square, at the foot of Nevski Prospect, is historic and spectacular, with views of the Neva river. The Winter Palace at Palace Square, is both a spectacular former palace of the czars as well as the main building of the world famous Hermitage Museum. And Palace Square is one of the world's spectacular public spaces.

But with only one day, I would book a tour with a private guide if at all possible, who could pick you up at your hotel and help you understand this amazing city. I do not usually use guides when we travel, but in your circumstances, it might be the best use of your limited time. I think Eugenia herself is a private guide-- not sure, you could message her privately if interested-- or I think you could arrange a guide through your hotel (but maybe at a premium). If you are staying at a central hotel, you should not need a car and driver, just a guide, as most of the sights you would want to see in one day are within a very compact area. Forget about the palaces in the suburbs, etc, for a one-day visit.

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter and one day

There are daily city tours on buses leaving from the side of Gostinny Dvor which would give a great overview of the city and is setting amid rivers and canals, palaces and parks. After the 1-2 hour tour you will know where you want to explore on foot in greater depth. An overview such as this really opens up the city because you see how each area fits in relation to each other and knowing that, you will feel more confident exploring on your own. The Hermitage is a great place to get a sense of the history as well as being one of the best museums in the world.

4. Re: Winter and one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 00:18