We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inside Peter and Paul Fortress

Missouri
Level Contributor
182 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Inside Peter and Paul Fortress

We have the choice to go inside the Peter and Paul Fortress. We may have to bypass the Yusupov Palace to do so. Opinion? I understand you cannot go to the place where Rasputin was killed but see wax figures which doesn't interest me. Also, metro tour to see a few station-is that a good choice? Am finalizing itinerary and these are the last two issues to resolve. Thank you.

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Inside Peter and Paul Fortress

If you love palaces, enjoy the interiors and like family stories then choose Yusupov palace.

If you like the history and good views – then your choice is Peter-and-Paul Fortress.

If you don’t go to Moscow then visit couple of subway stations to see the Soviet ideology in its glory.

Have a great trip!

St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inside Peter and Paul Fortress

Some stations of line #1 are worth seeing - but try to escape rush hours!!

Missouri
Level Contributor
182 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inside Peter and Paul Fortress

Veresch: Thank you but I am not sure which site is #line 1? Palace?

St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inside Peter and Paul Fortress

This line connects railway stations - and goes in the direction of Peterhof.

Missouri
Level Contributor
182 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inside Peter and Paul Fortress

Thank you Veresch. I was over computered and not thinking. Will do.

Mykonos, Greece
Level Contributor
549 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inside Peter and Paul Fortress

You should do Peter and Paul over Yusupov. They are both neat, but all the Czars are buried in Peter and Paul, and Yusupov is another magnificent mansion, but not as impressive as Peterhof or Catherine palace. When I was there you could see the spot where Rasputin was killed. Agree the wax figures are not anything special.

Missouri
Level Contributor
182 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inside Peter and Paul Fortress

Thank you. We sent the itinerary to Denrus and exchanged Yusupov for Peter and Paul Fortress. Wish we had 3 days there.

San Francisco
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Inside Peter and Paul Fortress

My husband and I went to Peter and Paul Fortress on about April 7th and we were very disappointed because the whole place was in a construction upheaval. There were so many workers and areas blocked off, and cobblestones turned up, that it ruined the atmosphere and we left. It could very well be completed by now, but that would definitely affect going or not. If you're at a hotel perhaps a concierge could tell you.

One other detail, which may also change with the start of the real tourist season in May. There was only one food stall,and they only had potato chips and warm sodas. There may be a lot more going on by the time you get there, but at least bring some bottled water with you in case there isn't.

P.S. You have to pay a small amount to enter the church, FYI.

Missouri
Level Contributor
182 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inside Peter and Paul Fortress

I will definitely check with Denrus about the condition of the Fortress. We are planning to bring lunch with us so we don't have to stop and miss any sights. Will definitely bring bottled water to be safe in case we can't get drinks anywhere. Many Thanks.

Missouri
Level Contributor
182 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inside Peter and Paul Fortress

According to Denrus, the fortress repairs should be finished on May 27th so we are planning to go inside. Thank you for the heads up.