We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Azamara Cruise Tours in St. Petersberg

Toronto
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Azamara Cruise Tours in St. Petersberg

HI:

Anyone return recently from st. petersburg on Azamara cruise? We are in the midst of booking our shore excursions for a cruise in July and wanted to know if anyone had some advice on any particular excursions to take or avoid! thanks!

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Azamara Cruise Tours in St. Petersberg

Being here for 3 days gives a lot of advantages over the normal 2 day programs. To get impressions from visitors on your ship who have already been here, you can't. It has never been here before but its very first port call is June 5th. Wait a few days and read the reviews on the forums that specialize in cruise discussions.

The ship offers a range of tours that it resells for local tour companies or you can book with one of the authorized tour companies to do any sort ot tour you wishh in any style or focus. There are also a limited number of set itinerary set price group tours, one is a full 3 days for $399.

My advice would be to get as much of an overview of the city as possible, there is just too much to see and experience to waste any of your time. A single customized multi-day tour designed around your spcific interests or one of the multi-day group tours would give the best experience of the city in 3 days.

Aptos
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Azamara Cruise Tours in St. Petersberg

heres my deal - we'll be on the Regatta / 5th/6th/7th of July...

I'm not interested in seeing all of the Tzarist palaces, and sooo many cathedrals - which most of the group tours only deal with.

we want to see museums like Leningrad Seige, Political History and Russian Museum. I'm imagining there won't be the lines there like at the Hermitage.

I think we'd like a guide for a city tour, Hermitage (maybe), and Peterhof.

Is it possible to do much on our own (I would'nt ask this question if Amsterdam, Paris, etal)?

help...

St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Azamara Cruise Tours in St. Petersberg

City tour, Hermitage and Peterhof (Park only- Grand palace not worth efforts) is quite possible to do with a guide in a day; Hermitage tickets available via Internet at www.hermitagemuseum.org (I am not getting kickbacks from the Hermitage site, I swear!), to Peterhof it is only half an hour by hydrofoil; back to the ship from the hydrofoil pier - 20 min walk

other places - easily available on one's own (regarding opening time and days off). Of course - visa is needed as a payment for independence. Of course, amount of information in English is meagre...

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
306 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Azamara Cruise Tours in St. Petersberg

It is probably too late to do on your own due to the Visa requirements. Your best bet would be to contact one of the tour operators that typically deal with cruise ships and use them as a guide.

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Azamara Cruise Tours in St. Petersberg

Your ship usually docks in the city center so you are in a walking distance from most of the sights. So if you have a Visa you can do a lot on your own:

• One of the Leningrad Siege museums is located near the cruise dock in Rumyantsev mansion. The museum offers English tours - 600 rubles per group up to 10 people. The museum opens daily from 11.00 to 18.00 except for Wednesday. Unfortunately the web-site is in Russian only. You can try to call and check if you can have a English tour (the museum doesn’t have English signs) at +7-812-571-7544

• Political History museum also offers the English tours. you can contact the museum by e-mail polithist@soros.spb.ru or call at +7-812-233-7656

• Russian museum can be visited on your own easily. Take the audio-guide and enjoy the art.

• Peterhof if not visiting the Grand Palace can be done independently as well.

So in general you ca explore the city on your own. If you want to avoid Visa problems then you should contact one of the authorized travel companies and ask for a private tour and a guide who knows and loves contemporary history and can concentrate the tour on your interests.

Have a great trip!

6. Re: Azamara Cruise Tours in St. Petersberg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 12:20