We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist Office and Peterhof Palace.

Surrey,England
Level Contributor
188 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Tourist Office and Peterhof Palace.

We would like to spend a day visiting Peterhof Palace.

Can anyone tell me about getting there from St Petersburg either independently or via a travel company?

Can you purhase an overall ticket to give you entrance to the main Peterhof palace, gardens, Monplaisir, Marly Palace etc.?

Can anyone give me the email address of the Tourist Information Office there?

Thank you.

Mykonos, Greece
Level Contributor
549 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist Office and Peterhof Palace.

Hi, visiting Peterhof is super easy. There is a hydrofoil that leaves periodically (say every half hour or so) in the morning, and returns same schedule in the afternoon. You can purchase tickets and board it from a small landing in the Neva just opposite the Winter Palace. We just walked up, bought our tickets, and got on. Once you arrive at the dock, you buy tickets for the palace onsite. As I recall there were separate tickets for the main palace, Monplaisir etc but I might be wrong, in any case it's very easy and self explanatory. If you must prioritize the outbuildings, for sure pick Monplaisir, it was Peter's favorite. And for sure budget time for strolling the gardens, the fountains are amazing. We spent the better part of 2 days visiting Peterhof. I can't help you with the tourist office info, but you can easily visit the whole thing on your own.

Surrey,England
Level Contributor
188 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist Office and Peterhof Palace.

Many thanks for this information.

Can you remember the various costs for the hydrofoil and Peterhof Palace? Did you pay in roubles or US dollars? Thank you.

Edina, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist Office and Peterhof Palace.

I would also agree with Hydrofoil. Buy the round trip ticket right away (about 800 rubles) and earliest boat is 9.30 a.m. Once you get there at the dock, you can bye the ticket to go to the ground (300 rubles). I definitely recommend you go to Grand Palace right away which they have only "Russian Time" between 12 noon to 2.30 p.m.. That is 500 rubles. Then you can start cruising around on ground to see all fountains and 3 other separate buildings ( 300 rubles each). It is not cheaper to go on your own but definitely give you freedom. Package tour that is sold on Nevsky Prospekt is about 1800 rubles per person.

England
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourist Office and Peterhof Palace.

Hi

I visited Peterhof last Sunday. I took the suggested option of a return hydrofoil journey from opposite the Hermitage. I bought the return ticket on the day which cost 700 roubles. The 'Meteor' (hydrofoil) leaves every 30 mins on the hour or half hour and it takes approximately 35 mins. The last hydrofoil departs at 6pm but I wouldn't risk leaving it that late if I were you in case it is full. As mentioned by someone previously, you pay 300 roubles to enter the park grounds on arrival and then pay separately to enter any of the buildings. I ended up spending 3hrs strolling round the gardens as the weather was so nice and ran out of time to visit the palace itself! There are several cafes within the grounds and stalls to buy drinks etc from or you can take your own and sit on one of the many benches in the grounds. On the day I was there several musical groups were playing in the grounds adding to the atmoshpere.

By the way, if any of you are students a student ID will get you in the park for half price.

It is possible and cheaper to get to Peterhof by a combination of metro, train and bus but unless you have a dire need to save money or want to travel like a local the hyrofoil offers a swift and comfortable journey. You can also go as part of an organised excursion leaving from outside Gostiniy Dvor Metro Station but unless you speak Russian you may find they are more aimed at visiting russian tourists.

You can't pay in dollars anywhere so you will need to change your money into roubles. There are exchanges places everywhere so it's not a problem or you can draw money on your credit card from a cash machine (I would use one inside a bank).

Enjoy your trip

5. Re: Tourist Office and Peterhof Palace.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 20:17