We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinking water

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
York
Level Contributor
485 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Drinking water

I see from elsewhere on the forums that the drinking water in St. P is not really safe. I presume this means the usual precautions like avoiding salads in restaurants and ice-cubes in drinks?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,441 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Drinking water

Certainly when I was in St.Petersburg in sept 2003 I was told not to drink the water,the hotel had plenty of bottled water on sale.Bath and shower water tends to have a brown tinge to it.never had a problem with eating salads etc,but i do have the consitution of an ox and very seldom get an upset tummy.

Check with your travel provider as to what precations you should take .

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Drinking water

Basically, I wouldn't drink any water from the tap. In Russia, they do not place ice cubes in drinks. If you do drink water from the tap, it is safer to boil the water first. Therefore, drinking something like tea should be fine. Although, some middle to higher end hotels claim that they filter the water, but it is probably just safer to avoid it altogether.

3. Re: Drinking water

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2014, 21:29
Atlanta
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Drinking water

I have been to SPb on several occasions.

The first time I went I stayed in a hotel which served breakfast, including juice that was almost certainly made from concentrate. I have also eaten salads and even raw seafood, and never gotten ill.

HOWEVER, I STRONGLY advise you not to follow my example.

Stick to only bottled beverages, which are widely available, and I have drunk gallons of espresso while in SPb with no problem. Any cooked dishes should be fine - I've eaten everywhere from 5 star restaurants to street kiosks with no problem.

Don't drink tap water, but it is OK to brush your teeth with it. But if you travel anywhere by train, avoid the water on the trains like the plague!!

If you are going to be there for a while - longer than a week, you may or may not begin to notice that showering causes some drying and irritation. Last trip, between the cold and mostly from showering I began feeling pretty dry after a week. Take some good quality mild lotion for use after showering.

Have fun.

Cockeysville, MD
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drinking water

I recently returned from St. Petersburg. The drinking water is not safe. Period. Use bottled water for absolutely everything. Beware of ice cubes. Most top end restaurants are probably OK, because they use mineral water even for ice cubes, but assume nothing. It's a shame that they cannot get the water supply cleaned up, but this has got to be one of the worst water supplies in any major city in the world.

St.Pete
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drinking water

Calm down people.

Drinking water is not safe from the tap because even thoguh they filter it they put some chlorium or whatever in it and it's not for drinking unless boiled. All the ice cubes made from boiled water. Trust me, for Russians it's a common sence to use only boiled water for drinking. However washing veg/fruites is fine. It does get filtered many times as i said but during this process it gains some chemicals in it not very suitable for drinking.

Another news-some bottled water is actually boiled and filtered water. Except Borgomi, Aqua Minarale, Rosinka and so on well-known brands.

As about Russia not being ready for tourists i wouldn't agree although i wouldn't stay far away from the center either just because of the travelling distance every day to get to the sights/etc.

Stay in the center and you'll be fine.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
353 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drinking water

But why take the risk and potentially ruin your holiday? I didnt even drink the local bottled water, I bought a big supply in Finland before I got to Russia which lasted me over a week.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
112 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drinking water

Well there's certainly no need to bring your bottled water with you. Petersburg offers a wide array of highly reputable bottled water, including one that is produced by the Coca-Cola company and one produced by Pepsi. Since all Russians also buy bottled water, you'll see it sold everywhere you go--pretty much on every street corner.

Dallas
Level Contributor
152 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drinking water

Hell in some of the most outermost Russian cities you'll find lots of Aquafina bottled water....Use common sense on the salads....more likely to get somethng due to a salad buffet sitting too long than from cabbage washed in water.

I would avoid drinking the water from tap, but I've taken lots of showers, brushed my teeth hundreds of times and never gotten terribly sick.

So buy bottled water to drink, relax, and enjoy your trip.

St.Pete
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drinking water

As i said water is clean but not suitable for drinking because of chlorium et. It's the same as drinking water from the swimming pool. But brushing teeth is fine.