We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
rail tickets from St Petersberg to Helenski

I am flying in to St Petersberg from Stockholm We are staying three nights and then wish to catch the train to Helenski. I have heard it is difficult to pick up the ticket at the train station. is this true? Should I book before and can the ticket be sent to me so there is no difficulity picking it up W e plan to leave St Petersberg on the 1st May, 2009

Any idea on the weather as well we are from Australia

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rail tickets from St Petersberg to Helenski

Usually there are no problems in buying tickets to Helsinki from St.Petersburg. There are 2 daily sitting trains - and you can buy tickets after arriving St.Petersburg with 3 days in advance from International railway department at Griboedov canal Advance railway bureau where there are no lines (second floor level).

Agents' fee sometimes makes tickets several times higher.

Weather in this period - very different. Sometimes - not very often - it can be almost snowing (last year last snow was in mid-May) - but it is not a rule. More often it might be about +10C; rain is possible any time (probably - unlike Australia).

australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rail tickets from St Petersberg to Helenski

Thank you for you reply I plan to be staying near the Hermitage Is the location of the ticket office far from there Do you know how much approx the ticket would cost?

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rail tickets from St Petersberg to Helenski

The railway ticket office is 10-min walk from the Hermitage, it is near Kazan cathedral (on the other side of the canal), 100 m from Nevsky prospect; ticket price was about 60 euros in a sitting carriage, driving time about 7 hours.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rail tickets from St Petersberg to Helenski

We are Australians of similar age who took the same train last September after a 5 day stay in StP - it was the Sibelius arriving at Helsinki in the evening. A nice and fairly scenic trip although take entertainment as the two separate 20-30 minute border stops for passport checks were tedious, though friendly enough especially the Finnish guys.

Another option to the above suggestions is to have the tickets delivered to your accommodation, although this does add a fee (but then your own holiday time in this very expensive country is valuable too - and 3 days isn't long for StP!!). We were edgy about having them delivered to our rented apartment (just the room for error aspect), so we had them delivered to the rental agency (City Realty) instead, which worked fine.

The tickets were via my agent using a wholesale company called Euroscape Travel and I think the local link in StP was G&R International (but maybe that was just the Moscow-StP trip, not sure). I gather Euroscape were difficult to budge at the Oz end, but the Russian end worked perfectly.

Have fun & try to fit in Peterhof and the Menshikov Palace too,especially the amazing tiled rooms

UK
Level Contributor
144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rail tickets from St Petersberg to Helenski

The main railway ticket office is very central - on your left-hand side as you stand facing the Kazansky Cathedral, and the international booth is never too busy, so you may as well pick them up in person, no need to waste time going to the station for this. May the 1st may be a bit busy though as it is a bank holiday, so advance purchase might be a good idea. As a backup, there is also a coach, quite a few services every day.

In the past, the _Finnish_ railways used to sell them over the phone (you had to fax the order though) and post them worldwide for some ridiculously low fee. You can check their international office on www.vr.fi and give them a call.

St. Petersburg
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: rail tickets from St Petersberg to Helenski

The price for RW ticket between St. Petersburg and Helsinki was about 50 euro one way. I also think that for the 1-st May it is better to reserve or by tickets in advance. This is a holiday in Russia. But from the other side train is used by businesspeople, tourists prefers busses witch are less expensive (about 20-30 euro).

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rail tickets from St Petersberg to Helenski

Why not a round trip ticket in advance? We were thinking of doing in early July-any advice?

Casa

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rail tickets from St Petersberg to Helenski

You can buy tickets only 60 days in advance - roundtrip as well if it fits your supposed route.

9. Re: rail tickets from St Petersberg to Helenski

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 19:16