We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best shashlik

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best shashlik

Hi all,

where to eat the best shashlik in town?

I would like to receive a couple of options..

Thanks in advance,

bye.

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best shashlik

Unfortunately, nowhere.

Restaurants just do not prepare it the way individuals do in the woods over live coals. The home prepared variety is usually marinaded for at least overnight with family secret spices and oils and ends up being cooked over high heat that sears the juices in for a texture and taste not found in restaurants. The only place I have had it in a restaurant that was not dry and tough was Blini Domik but even that nice little authentic restaurant is not as good a a family outing to a lake or dacha where it is almost always very flavorful, very tender. If you are coming in the summer there are many small resorts and private parks that have real barbeque, particularly north along the Gulf of Finland.

Until recently almost all restaurants overcooked meat of all types, including fish but the joys of medium and medium rare has finally been visited on St Petersburg(other regions are not as varied or as open to new tastes and styles). There are some very progressive chefs in the city, and the general level of restaurant food now is very good.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best shashlik

Stanj, useful as usual, thanks.

I have eaten many times shashlik in my previous stays in Russia and i have to admit is really fabolous...with the long and meticolous preparation you have described, simply amazing.

While all my colleagues had 'dviesti', i always ordered...400 g! :P

I will be there in 2 days so i was wondering if in winter time shashlik had the same preparation..in fact i used to eat it only from late April until October in small kiosks on the streets along Volga River (in Astrakhan).

I'll surely try it in BD, even if not the best, it will be delicious anyway.

Thanks,

bye.

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best shashlik

Truly speaking I think it is nearly impossible to compare home-made food and the one you get in the restaurant. Such traditional Russian dishes as borsch, blennies, shashlyk…all of it tastes better when cooked at home. But not many foreigners have a chance to visit Russian family so they have to choose a restaurant. Choosing carefully one can find some very nice places.

For good shashlyk in the city I would choose one of the following:

Kavkaz bar on Karavannaya street

Ohotnichja Izba on Lermontovsky prospect 30

Tbiliso on Sytninskaya street 10

Dastarhan on Zagorodnyj 70

Have a pleasant trip!

4. Re: Best shashlik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 06:40
Get answers to your questions about St. Petersburg