We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

plane or rail?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
plane or rail?

I found a very cheap ticket from my hometown in USA to Moscow and just purchased it, but would prefer to go to St. Petersburg as my final destination. Since I will already be at the airport, would you recommend buying another separate plane ticket from Moscow to St. Petersburg or take the rail? My first concern is that I fly into Moscow to SHEREMETYEVO but then depart at the end of my trip from DOMODEDOVO. So, if I purchased a round trip flight from SHEREMETYEVO then at the end of my trip I would need to take a bus from SHEREMETYEVO to DOMODEDOVO. Is this recommended? How much time/money should I plan on for this bus ride? It can be a typical, cheap bus. I also run the risk of having a problem with my luggage and missing my flight to St. Petersburg.

My second concern is buying a rail ticket online. What is the best site to do this? A round trip flight from Moscow to St. Petersburg is only $100 but it appears a rail is much more expensive.

Thank you in advance for your help. Вы можете ответить на русском языке если то легке для вас. Я раньше жил в Ст Петерсбург и очень рады вернуться!

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: plane or rail?

You can find a round trip M-SPb-M departing from Sheremetyevo and returning to Domodedovo as Rossiya and Aeroflot fly from both Moscow terminals to St.Petersburg. Flight will be definitely easier - in Sheremetievo you will only have to go from the international terminal to the domestic via transfer desk (no direct communication between the two).

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: plane or rail?

A correction. Aeroflot flies only from Sheremetyevo to St.Pete, for flighs out of Domodedovo you can check Rossiya, S7 and Transaero.

If I were you, I'd definitely fly from Sheremetyevo to St.Petersburg, and think what's better for a return leg - either strait to Domodedovo, ortrain - depending on time.

For rail tickets check www.rzd.ru, but in general flying is cheaper on this route. Good luck!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: plane or rail?

Thank you both for your input. I found the best option was to book a r/t with Rossiya from SVO to LED then LED back to DME at the end. I never would have known about this option if it weren't for you two!!

4. Re: plane or rail?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 05:28