We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Folkloric show at the Nikolaevsly Palace

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
478 posts
218 reviews
Save Topic
Folkloric show at the Nikolaevsly Palace

We will be on the NCL Baltic cruise end of August and will probably book the DenRus 2 day Value tour but trying to decide what to do in the evening even though we will probably be tired. Don't want to miss anything! I don't think ballet or Opera would suit us - have read great things about the Folkloric show at the Nikolaevsly Palace. Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks! (I haven't inquired with DenRus if they could arrange that for us but assume they could?)

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Folkloric show at the Nikolaevsly Palace

I am sure they can, with their Value Excursion.

There are 4 folkloric shows in the city, the one you mention is the one that advertises the most so it is well known.

Visitors usually report they enjoy the festive evenings a lot, it is very entertaining. Locals do not go to these shows because it has little or nothing to do with their life in St Petersburg.They DO go to opera, drama theaters, ballet, and concerts with sell out attendance every night of the week, because it is part of the culture whereas the folkloric shows are not part of any of their lives.

If you go, you will likely enjoy yourself, the performances are good. But to really get see the heritage of St Petersburg visit one of the other activities mentioned above. Or just go into the city center and walk around, people watch from outdoor cafes, go to a fine jazz club, take a late night river cruise, some with dinner, fine dining, or go to a local's oriented night club to dance. Going to one of the many English style pubs is a great way to meet and have fascinating conversations with locals, and no doubt meet some new friends. You can arrange that easily through your tour operator also.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
478 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Folkloric show at the Nikolaevsly Palace

stanj, THANK YOU for your excellent response and you nailed it on the head - we would LOVE to do something "non-touristy" but I just assumed we had to stay with a tour group. Normally when we travel we like to be on our own and as far away from the hordes of tourists as possible! We will have our 18 year old daughter with us as well so we are totally open to suggestions. Probably prefer to not sit for a performance and do something more active - dinner cruise or jazz - or just seeing the city at night sounds fantastic. So we just book this through DenRus then? Thank you so much - Trip Advisor is awesome!

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Folkloric show at the Nikolaevsly Palace

Yes, they can handle it and it will be essentially like having your own visas except you will have a guide with you. The guide in that case can act as interpreter or just advisor on where to shop.

If you like Jazz, I might recommend the JFC Jazz Club, it has wonderful shows, less a night club than a small concert venue that looks like a old style jazz club. It has no food, just a short drink menu, it is filled every night, all 80 seats plus 20 standing room. I've been there many dozens of times and never have seen a poor performance. The programs start about 8 and end about 10 or a little earlier. All the audience seem to be jazz and music fans, they seldom or ever talk during the performance.

There are pubs that also have live bands, ranging from Irish acoustic to rock or blues.

The pubs have become very popular with Russians, the homey comfortable interiors, easy conversation and pretty good food in some of them(particularly Dickens, Hemingway, Ring of Bells, and a few others are standouts). The sidewalk cafes in the city center, primarily sushi restaurants, French, or Russian, are great places from which to people watch, but a little harder to meet people than pubs.

There are also river cruises that include dinner or jazz/blues music. That is a great vantage point for the nightly fireworks shows over Peter & Paul Fortress.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
478 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Folkloric show at the Nikolaevsly Palace

My husband LOVES the idea of going to the pub and watching people and meeting people!!!! Big question, can our 18 year old daughter go into the pubs? She is not a drinker (yet!) but curious what the drinking age is. I will ask DenRus about possibly arranging something like this.Wonder if it will cost an arm and a leg! Thank you so much for your outstanding help.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
478 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Folkloric show at the Nikolaevsly Palace

Thank you stanj for your helpful information. We just returned last night from the NCL Jewel Baltics cruise. We really enjoyed the 2 day Value tour through DenRus and for the evening we reserved the private car and driver 7p-11p ($192 thru DenRus). Our guide was Olga and basically we just walked around downtown with her and stopped at an outdoor cafe (James Cook pub) for local beer. It was very enjoyable and gave us much more of a feeling for the local life in St Petersburg and we enjoyed the opportunity to talk "one on one" with Olga. St Petersburg is probably one of the most spectacular cities we have ever seen. Our time there is something we will always remember and treasure.

6. Re: Folkloric show at the Nikolaevsly Palace

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2010, 05:17