We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay

Edinburgh
8 posts
Save Topic
where to stay

we are planning a 4 night stay to St. Petersburg at beginning of December. We have absolutely no idea which area to stay in can you advise please? Also, how to get around the city e.g. train, bus or walk? We have looked at the Ambassador Hotel but some people have not been too impressed with it. Any help would be greatly received. Do you think we might see some snow?

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay

If you plan on a lot of self guided tourism, walking to many of the points of interest, the city center is most convenient since you do not have to worry about transportation, the attractions would be all around you. But public transportation is fast, cheap and available so if you want a particular hotel or chain you will have a method of easily getting to the center.

Check the hotel reviews on Trip Advisor to get an idea of which ones might be of interest. Note one thing, the rankings have little to do with the actual quality, but rather the relative popularity by people who bothered to post reviews. You will find some small limited service hotels ranking higher than genuine full services quality hotels due to this characteristic of people not having anything to compare with where they stayed.

Prices are lower at the beginning of December but rise after about the 10th -15th because New Years is THE major holiday here and many people come for the holiday. Normal winter prices return mid January.

Edinburgh
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay

thanks for your info. We have narrowed down some hotels and wondered if you might be able to advise? They are; Kempinski, Corinthia Palace and the Petro Palace. We were also interested in the Ambassador but a few reports said there was a terrible line up at the check-in. Any ideas?

Thanks once again.

Ali

Springfield...
Level Contributor
247 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay

As always, Stan is spot on. Mileage varies, but on my four trips to SPb, I've paid extra to stay in full service hotels (Angleterre, SAS Radisson, Petro Palace, Novotel) and never regretted it.

Another thing you should take into consideration is that not all hotels claiming to be in the city center actually are in the city center as you or I as travelers would consider it.

For example, some hotels on Vasilievsky Island claim to be in the "historical city center," which is true, but only in the historical sense that Peter the Great had envisioned Vasilievsky Island as the center of his new city. I myself have had good luck basing myself close to Nevsky Prospekt and then exploring Europe's most amazing city from there.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
247 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay

The Petro Palace was quite nice. I stayed there (and reviewed it) in summer 2007. The furnishings are a little more spartan than the website lets on, and the breakfast buffet was disappointing. But every day I could look out from my third-floor deluxe room and see the flat where Nikolai Gogol once lived. Priceless.

Edinburgh
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay

Thanks for your reply. We are still undecided!

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay

If the price is not an issue definetely stay at Kempinski Hotel. It is the best location in the city - next door to the Hermitage museum. Rooms are perfect, service is attentive.

Athens
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay

I just came back from SPb, having stayed at the Holiday Inn-Moskovskye Vorota. Excellent hotel, excellent location, 200 meters from the metro station, four stations away, i.e.about 8 or 9 minutes, from the center of the city, in a nice, quiet, safe neighbourhood. I recommend it highly. The metro is fast and easy to learn, but you can also walk and enjoy the city.

Edinburgh
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay

Thanks for your info. We have been looking at the Corinthia Palace as well but think it might be a bit far to walk to the attractions. Also the Pushka Inn Hotel or the Petro Palace. We have been saving up for a while and don't want our stay spoiled because of the accommodation. We want to get everything just right!!

Thanks for your help.

Alyson

seattle
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay

The best and most expensive options are Grand Europe and Taleon Imperial. Small boutique 4-star hotels are : Rossi, Golden Triandle and Pushka Inn. All 3 are excellent locations. Golden Triangle offers breakfast until 12-noon.Pushka Inn is very close to the Hermitage and Palace Square, though I don't think by the Hermiatge is the best location.

Novgorod
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay

Well... it depents first of all what you are waiting for from your journey. Of course it is no doubht comfort and pleasure. If you want to stay anywhere at the centre of the city and enjoy your walking at saint Petersburg streets by watching its wonderful sights and rivers the best way to choose the hotel 4 or 5 stars. In that case I would really recommend you Ambassador hotel. You will never regret about your choise. But if you'd like to stay in a calm place in a park area and breathe fresh air, with great pleasure I advice you to stay at Park hotel Potemkin which is in Pushkin town (Tsarskoe selo), just 15 minutes from the airport.

And I am sure that you will remember your stay in Russia forever. And never ever regret about it.

Thank you.