We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of visa?

North Wales
Level Contributor
52 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of visa?

Being a complete novice to this - ie trip to Russia (albeit very short) anyone any idea what the going rate for "invitation & visa" should be? I seem to be finding very diverse figures!! Thanks!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
110 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of visa?

I have been researching this also and it appears that the Visa support letter (AKA the 'invitation') is $30 and the Visa application is $131.

North Wales
Level Contributor
52 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of visa?

Thanks Thrillrider! That seems more reasonable than the price I've seen on the CIBT website of 172GBP exc VAT (more than the cost of the hotel!!) I feel as though I'm doing an exam at school again with these questions haha! Hope the results are better :-)

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of visa?

Your hotel, if it is honest, will send the invitation for free via email. It costs them nothing to create it.

The problem with UK is that the Russian consulates have contracted with a visa service, with quite probably a major kickback to them, for 3rd party processing. The new contractor is VFS Global http://ru.vfsglobal.co.uk/

They charge 25.85Pounds for dropping it off and 50Pounds for the Consular fee.

I advise not to use a 3rd party outside of Russia to get an invitation. It is not exactly legal and a lot of people were detained last year for it. I personally had a hellish 3 weeks dealing with that that ended up costing a lot of money to resolve. Get the invitation directly from your host/sponsor, usually it is free and its legal. The ONLY organizations authorized to issue tourist visa invitations are hotels and tour operators who have MBT numbers, registered to host foreign guests.

Edited: 22 January 2010, 07:14
Oregon
Level Contributor
404 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of visa?

I'm glad someone asked about visas, because I am in the middle of doing research on this as well. I have been in contact with a tour guide there as well as a real estate company for renting a serviced apartment in St. P. for 8 nights, and was quoted different prices for visa support (the invitation) and registration (after arrival there). I have also been reviewing the Russian embassy's website for instructions on how to obtain a visa. Lots of hoops to jump through!

I live in Oregon, but it is under the jurisdiction of the San Francisco office, Of course the Seattle office would be closer to me. I was going to call the Embassy office, to see if I read correctly, that you're supposed to show up in person to apply for a Visa, and if that's not possible, to use one of the visa services listed on the Embassy website. It's all very confusing. Any info on what I really need to do would be helpful! Thank you!

North Wales
Level Contributor
52 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of visa?

Hi - the owner of the guest house we've booked advised that she wasn't authorised to provide visa support (invitation) documents for us but her "partners"(who turned out to be the tourist information centre) were & we recieved them via email today at a cost of 28Euros for 2 people - that's without registration as we're not going to be there long enough. We then went onto VFS global (thanks Stanj) and filled in the visa application form online, printed it off as it has to be signed and a photo put on it, bought a postal order and put the whole lot with passports into a special delivery envelope (& said a little prayer!!) so now we're sitting with baited breath awaiting news - we also paid extra for the passports to be returned via special delivery. As somebody already mentioned, the info they need is quite detailed & as one of my ex employers no longer exists as such it was easier to get past that page by putting DID NOT WORK! Good luck!

Fargo USA
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of visa?

Stanj,

It is my understanding that for Americans we can apply in person or use a third party. Can one person submit for the entire group, or does each applicant need to submit their own application? I hate the idea of paying a 3rd party $50 for each application, but will do if necessary.

Portsmouth
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of visa?

If this reaches you a little late, then I apologise. I am due to visit St Petersburg in June this year and requested my 'invitation' from the hotel we are staying at (Matisov Domik). Although this necessitated me sending credit card and passport details to them, I did receive the visa support documents within 24 hours via email albeit at a cost of £10.33 per person.

As far as the visa itself is concerned, things have definately got more detailed since 2008! As mentioned by others, I am going via VFS; although I intend to deliver my application in person (Gee Street, London). The costs I have seen for nomal turn around times (7 days or so) are £25.85 along with an additional £40.00 per application, and again I'll be handing them Special Delivery self addressed envelopes for the return of the passport and visa (one envelope for each visa apparently). If you want them to supply the return Special Delivery envelopes, they'll charge you an extra £7.00 odd per visa! Good luck, Hope this helps.

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of visa?

we will be visiting St Petersburg on June 3rd and 4th for 2 days as part of a stop over with the Eurodam. We consider doing some sightseeing on our own as we find the organized tours on offer pack to much in. We rather see a little less but spend more time in the places we like. For instance most tours offer a stay in the Hermitage for 3 hours we rather stay the day. I have read that it is not necessary to get a Visa if the Visit to Russia is less than 72 hours. Please advise if this is correct

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of visa?

This visa-free opportunity is based on the strict requirement for confirmed services from an authorized tour operator.If you want to be completely free - you should apply for visas individually using support from your cruise operator.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost of visa?

Dear Sirs,

I would like to accentuate that mostly of hotels provide the visa-support service free of charge for their guests. Contact your hotel directly requesting visa-support. It takes 24 hours to make visa-forms (Invitation and Tourist Voucher). Nevertheless in case of cancellation the fee will be charged to guest's credit card.