We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm looking for a good baltic tour holiday august 2010

Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
I'm looking for a good baltic tour holiday august 2010

my self and my girlfriend are looking at going on a north european tour this summer. I quite fancy a 3/4 city tour.....scandinavian cities and st petersburg. We are going for about 8-10days. Can anyone recommend a tour you've been on or heard about?

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm looking for a good baltic tour holiday august 2010

The best way is to get some guide books for the cities and just go. Tours are pretty confining for such wide open and easy to navigate cities. You will need visas only for Russia but your hotel will probably send the appropriate invitation documents by email attachments after you book. An alternative to hotels are private apartments, modestly priced(nothing in Scandinavia or St Petersburg really qualifies for the title "modestly priced" however" that allows more comfort of home....a kitchen and appliances to feel more like home and usually with desirable locations in the heart of things.

The major and even tiny villages, in Scandinavia are remarkably accessible, and civilized. There is no wonder that all battle it out for top ranking in the highest Quality of Life places to live in the world. I know that if more Americans traveled, and stayed for a few weeks in any Scandinavian country they could go back and demand decent education systems, health care and really civil society. I might even return to the US someday if that happened:>)

St Petersburg has its own but different qualities to make it utterly unique and fascinating. There is MUCH more to do that is exciting and interesting in St Petersburg than any place I have been. And I have been a lot of places.

My only reservation about your plan is that 8-10 days is way to short a time. That should be spent all in St Petersburg and maybe Tallinn Estonia, Helsinki Finland or Novgorod in Russia. Or, forget Russia and use that time for the Baltic Capitols and plan a proper length of time for St Petersburg later. You would be kicking yourself later when you realize upon arrival that it is not a "jet in for a couple days" city, you miss way too much on a whirl-wind tour. If you time it right the city can be very romantic, with elegance or funky, whatever you prefer. One bit of advice from an expert in the matter.....focus, on your GF and ignore the stunning stylish beauties seen on every block...if you can.

Have fun...

Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm looking for a good baltic tour holiday august 2010

Thanks.

Good advice. Would love to spend time in each area but with work commitments I'm tied to the timeframe mentioned. Have looked at an 8day 3 capital city Scandinavian tour ( Copenhagen, Oslo and Stockholm) or 9day 3 baltic city ( Tallinn, Hellsinki and St P ) tour.....as yet undecided.

Research continues.

Regards

Springfield...
Level Contributor
248 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm looking for a good baltic tour holiday august 2010

On the one hand, ten days *is* still too short a time in St. Petersburg. On the other hand, you can spend three days in St. Petersburg... and come back again. Tuesday I leave for my fifth trip to SPb in five years. It won't be my last trip, either.

4. Re: I'm looking for a good baltic tour holiday august 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2010, 05:19