We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train st Petersburg to Helsinki

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Train st Petersburg to Helsinki

Hello, this train travel thing in russia is all a bit confusing. What is the best website to buy a ticket for this specific journey. The prices on the websites at 150 euros per person one way seem ridiculous, when its less than half price going in the reverse direction. I will be travelling in September. In addition, how much would this specific ticket cost if I bought it a few days in advance when I am in Russia? Thanks.

1. Re: Train st Petersburg to Helsinki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2010, 15:07
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train st Petersburg to Helsinki

Thanks, but the prices are 50 euros from H to St P on Finish websites. So I was assuming the russian side of things adds on a little extra to meake you feel welcome... :)

St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Train st Petersburg to Helsinki

There is no need to book tickets through the third part who always adds some on top of the real price.

I usually buy train tickets to Helsinki and back one-two days prior to the trip at the train station. The price is about 50-60 Euros each way.

Never seen any problems with ticket shortage. The train is considered as more expensive way of traveling - most people take buses - longer but cheaper.

Starting from April 30 there is another option - new ferry M/S Princess Maria

Edited: 28 March 2010, 18:38
Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train st Petersburg to Helsinki

Many of the ticketing web sites are in 3rd countries, particularly in the UK and US and assume the reader is more concerned with booking in far too far in advance than cost. The tickets are not even available this far in advance so when you buy from such a site you are simply getting a promise to buy the tickets for you close to the use date. Schedules can change. Same with the main sites booking concerts, ballet and theater far in advance, the site has no idea what really is going to be performed that night. I see many site selling tickets for specific ballets at the Mariinsky up to 6 months in advance but Mariinsky seldom finalizes their schedules until 6 weeks or less before the performance. Their own web site only gives advance purchase availability about 30 days in advance. That leaves a lot of disappointed visitors who bought from these sites and were only later told that the performance was changes at the "last minute" so it is beyond the control of the web site. The site knows very well they have NO knowledge of what is going to be performed when the ticket was sold as for a specific performance. It might just as likely be an opera instead of a ballet that night.

Just get the train tickets for the return as soon as you arrive in St Petersburg, more reliable, 1/2-1/3 the price and no middle men to add confusion.

St. Andrews, UK...
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Train st Petersburg to Helsinki

If I understand everything correctly, there might be a new high-speed train running from St. Petersburg to Helsinki and back in September called "Allegro".

www.kareliantrains.fi/en/index/news.html

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train st Petersburg to Helsinki

thanks... will hold off on buying tickets...

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train st Petersburg to Helsinki

Allegro starts operations December 11th, 2010. Until then check www.vr.fi for tickets. All prices are the same any direction, with a slight correction on the euro/rouble rate, when buying in Russia. Tickets Hel-St.Pete are usually availiable any time, including 1 day before departure, Hel-Moscow is in high demand on Friday and Sunday, buy 1 week before. Sales in Russia only on major train stations in international sales tickets. Doesn't DB sells them?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train st Petersburg to Helsinki

I didn't think you used to be able to buy tickets online before...

VR is the Finnish company who does the train to St Pete. There are 2 or 3 trains that run - 2 Russian and one Finnish. The Finnish one is called 'Sibelius' and is more Western.

I generally just book my train ticket at the Finnish train station whenever...I have never expereinced them being too full. Then I book it at the St Pete end as well...There is a train ticket booking centre near Kazansky Cathedral.

Alternatively you can get very cheap buses to and from Helsinki!

Mentioned in this post
Sibelius
Sibelius
St. Petersburg, Russia
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Moscow, Russia
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train st Petersburg to Helsinki

Stanj,

Promise is a service. Just like when you buy car insurance or book a hotel room, or a flight, you buy a promise that you will receive certain service in the future. Of course you should only by from reputable parties and travel agencies (like www.russiantrains.com)

Secondly, from my experience, it does make a lot of sense to book train tickets to Russia and inside of Russia ahead of time. It's more convenient and lets you make plans for your trip with a peace of mind.

This comes at the price of course, because travel agencies are not charities. But if a client prefers to pay a little more and not have to worry about this tickets, there is nothing wrong with that. www.Russiantrains.com for example arranges worldwide delivery of Helsinki - St. Petersburg tickets if customer so desires. And yes, the Finns themselves, do not issue tickets more than 40 days in advance, but reputable agencies have special cues with them, to ensure that their tickets are booked.

And, by the way, we have seen many situations in summers that all trains from Finland to St. Petersburg are booked up completely. So it is more than assumption. It's empiric knowledge.

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Finland
Finland
Europe
10. Re: Train st Petersburg to Helsinki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2010, 15:17